Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cordless drill for ice auger
Thanks. The Nils auger I use has a plate that is slightly larger than the hole so it can't fall through. Sure scares you when the auger drops off the drill, though.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Just be careful of the Ryobi hammer drill. Where the side handle mounts it's weak. After a few years of use it can break while drilling causing jammed drill trigger and a runaway auger. Dewalt 20v all the way to go.
[quote pid='1110307' dateline='1609956383']
[quote pid='1110177' dateline='1609778132']
  That's good.  I tried my older Ryobi + 18V , which I think is a P852 (?).  It has new NiCad batteries (claiming 3.5 Amp Hours each), 
[/quote]
I just posted an add for a Tanaka power head on the forum if you are interested. Runs and starts great. Even started at -26 temp. Cheaper than a drill!
[/quote]
I'll take a look, thanks.
I use a makita with a 5 ah battery on a clam plate with a 8" nils. I went with a makita because all my tools for work are makita. That way I can use the batteries year round. I found the drill on clearance at home depot with a couple of 2ah batteries for around a hundred bucks. I keep that drill permanently attached to the clam plate. I take two 5ah batteries with me and rarely need the second battery. I can usually get 30-50 holes on a single battery. I do not miss a gas auger at all. I love this set up. I also have a strike master auger blade that is much shorter and will pack away in my frabil sit and fish sled for my ultra light ice fishing set up. I do not get as many holes drilled as with the nils blade however.