Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snowdog thoughts
I went to a powersports dealer (Young Powersports in Layton) and bought the same carbide runners that go on snowmobile skis.  Little pricey but once installed on each back corner of the sled, it was well worth it. There’s cheaper options, but these were much easier/quicker to install.  Huge improvement on the ice along with the studded track on the sled.
I haven't studded my track - YET!  Don't really need it on snow and most of the ice has a little on it right now.  But I do plan to stud the track soon.  So for those who have already done so or have put it on your to-do list, what are you using for studs and where did you buy them?  Also, have you found any videos showing the installation of the studs on the track?
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Kold Kutters.  Smallest size, and if you look at the track, there are round tread spots on each row.  Theses round parts are made for the installation of your chosen stud.  I didn’t put one in every round spot, but settled on a consistent pattern as I worked along the track.  It’s easy.
(01-05-2021, 02:37 PM)dubob Wrote: I haven't studded my track - YET!  Don't really need it on snow and most of the ice has a little on it right now.  But I do plan to stud the track soon.  So for those who have already done so or have put it on your to-do list, what are you using for studs and where did you buy them?  Also, have you found any videos showing the installation of the studs on the track?
Bob, Amazon has a good assortment of KoldKutters. I bought a package of 250 and it was plenty. I placed them; three in a row then two, alternating. Easy to do, just use a cordless drill with appropriate socket. Avoid over tightening.

To accomplish the task I secured my ramp to my work bench and drove the Dog up and rolled it on its side exposing the track. Don't take too long either.

rj
I purchased the 5/8" kold kutters on ebay. They only had the 1/2" on Amazon. They were also a bit cheaper on eBay.
I purchased this "gun rack" and it has worked well to hold my nils on a clam plate. I liked the offset and the u-bolt mount was alot more streamlined than the kolpin mounting plate. I haven't tried mounting it on the snowdog. I mounted it on my "dog sled" the offset holds the auger out a little bit so access to the stuff in the sled is easier. 

All Rite Products Graspur Single... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002MFJ20?ref...b_ap_share
(01-09-2021, 06:57 PM)BertDawg Wrote: I purchased the 5/8" kold kutters on ebay. They only had the 1/2" on Amazon. They were also a bit cheaper on eBay.
Since the #8 doesn't come in 5/8" and the #10 does, I would assume you have the #10 screws.  Watching the Kold Kutter video on installation in a snowmobile track, they recommend pre-drilling the holes with a 1/8" drill bit and coating all the crews with WD40 for easier installation.  Did you follow those recommendations for installation?

Have you checked to see if any of the studs have backed out of the track since you installed them?  The #10 kutters also come in 3/4" & 7/8" lengths which would probably be even less likely to back out.  Just brainstorming here.
   Wink

(01-05-2021, 12:16 AM)6x7 Wrote: I went to a powersports dealer (Young Powersports in Layton) and bought the same carbide runners that go on snowmobile skis.  Little pricey but once installed on each back corner of the sled, it was well worth it. There’s cheaper options, but these were much easier/quicker to install.  Huge improvement on the ice along with the studded track on the sled.
Any chance of seeing a picture of the runners in place (installed)?  I'm having a hard time visualizing how/where they were installed.  Also, can you explain how they improved the performance?  Easier to steer on ice, tracks better on ice, ????
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Yes, it tracks much better behind the dog.  I spend a lot of time on the Gorge.  With the glare ice you experience there, your sled fish tails.  With the runners on the back corners of the sled, it tracks perfectly.  I’ve never uploaded a pic on this site, but I will snap some pics and see what I can do.
(01-10-2021, 04:38 PM)6x7 Wrote: Yes, it tracks much better behind the dog.  I spend a lot of time on the Gorge.  With the glare ice you experience there, your sled fish tails.  With the runners on the back corners of the sled, it tracks perfectly.  I’ve never uploaded a pic on this site, but I will snap some pics and see what I can do.
Still waiting for those pictures 6x7.   Big Grin

Last summer, I ordered some ice studs for my Snowdog's track.  The company I bought the studs from is: Kold Kutter Traction Products.  The studs I bought are the Kold Kutter AMA 8-18 X 1/2" pk250.  They were the size the Kold Kutter tech recommended for the track based on the paddle size used on it.  While the Kold Kutter installation video recommended spraying the studs with WD-40 and pre-drilling the holes, I ended up not doing either.  Since there were plenty of studs (250) in the pack, I installed one in each round post found in the actual paddles - 4 in one row, 3 in the next row, repeat.

[Image: KK012-8-250-mv2.png]  [Image: kk012-8-250-mv1.png]  [Image: KK012-8-250-mv3.png]

First step was to hoist the dog up on a table I use for cutting plywood sheets.  I put 2 pieces of water pipe through the frame and put jack stands under the pipe ends.  This isolated the track so I could turn it by hand using the belt pully under the machine cover.  It also made it easy to sit and screw the studs into the track.  Here's what it looked like.
[Image: IMG-20211212-140605-1.jpg]

If you look closely at the picture below, you can see some of the studs and which round posts they are screwed into.  I only put the studs in the round columns that were part of a paddle.
[Image: IMG-20211212-140624-1.jpg]  [Image: IMG-20211212-140658-1.jpg]

The whole job took me about 2 1/2 hours to complete.  This should make the dog much more stable on bare ice and give me traction on boat launch ramps that are snow packed and slick and in slush.

Come on ice.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah