Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport 1-2-21...Perch and a 'bow
First time on ice at RP this season..We arrived to the Res. about 0745, and while I new we wouldn't be the first ones there, I was surprised to see almost all parking spaces taken up along the highway side access points...But there was still room, and we launched ourselves and sleds down the snowy/rocky pathway  to the ice, drilling and setting up in 49 FOW...I caught a 7"er right off, started 'seeing' more down there, so set up my tent..many others were set up, or arriving and setting up, closer to shore, and heading more toward the dam area, but I didn't do the hike to see what was going on over there in tent city...We were catching some perch fairly regularly, but mostly in the 71/2 to 8" size..another friend and his son and brother came out and set up close to us, and they started doing about the same...I'd guess between all of us, we landed about 60 perch, with half of those released in the 4 to 7" range..and overall, we did land several of those larger ones in the 101/2 to 12" range, but they were very few and far in between...I did score on 1 rainbow; jawjacker was set outside the tent for about 1 1/2 hours..starting to pack up, talking to buddy in his tent, standing by the 'jacker, CLACK, it goes off, rod jumping in the holder...Fish On...this was a nice fish, drag pulling line off reel, tighten  it a little, Zoom...there he goes again, diving down, then right, then left...finally up closer to the hole we could see it (ice was crystal clear), but all I could do was watch it go back and forth past the hole, not wanting to get his nose near it...my buddy was out and trying to help, once tried grabbing my line..but I quickly explained that wouldn't help....finally, after a very good battle, I got the nose up the hole and my friend was able to scoop it out..Giant Carp!...just kidding, biggest rainbow I've ever caught, trolling or through the ice...20", 3lb er....I don't use the jawjacker much, and this was the first time I'd actually caught something with it...Overall, good morning here, a little disappointed with average size of perch... but grateful for some nicer fish and a fine day to be out on the ice...Guluk...
Thanks for the report, Joe. How thick was the ice?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Awesome report. Thanks
Ice was clear and solid, though only about 4 to 5 "...No machines out driving around, so only sounds were some of the gas-powered augers, and every once in awhile some whoopin' and hollerin' when somebody caught a fish..Should be someone on this site that was fishing the West side shoreline, as heading toward the dam...I'd sure like to know if/what they were all catching....lots of people in that area Sat. A.M.

Ice was very solid and clear, easy to see a fish coming up with a little snow cleared away...but just 4 or 5"thick...and that's probably why no snow machines were seen or heard, at least while we were there...Solid enough to be holding a lot of ice fishers out there, however...always best to have ice safety gear handy...
I got there Sat afternoon, and scanned the crowd by the dam, as well as at the pull-outs, with binoculars, but didn't see anybody with fish on the ice.