Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Echo 1/2
For the second time this week my wife went ice fishing with me.  Before that, it had been before we had kids, and my oldest is 22. She had a good time at Pineview, but needed some better boots.  Hit Cabelas and used our points to get her some nice pac boots.

Got to Echo before 8 am and 15 degrees and set up in an area that has been pretty good for perch in the past.  We never moved. I set up the tent and heater and we proceeded to catch perch, a lot of them.  Problem was that they were nearly all tiny, or mostly tiny.  We easily caught over 100. The vex was lit up on the bottom from 8 am until we left at 12. It was an all perch day.  I had 2 poles set up for cruising trout that were never touched. When we left, it was still 15 degrees.  Ice was 9" and clear beneath a couple inches of loose snow. We did end up with 13 keeper perch that I added to the ones we caught at Pineview.  Had a good creamy fish soup last night.  Water level is still low.  A person was manning the entrance and taking payments to enter the state park.  It was very busy, lots of people.  We got away from the crowd and never had anyone very close to us.[Image: image000000-2.jpg]

[Image: image000002.jpg]

[Image: image000001-2.jpg]
Congrats on the successful day, too bad those trout didn’t come to play.
I have a pretty good idea where I can catch some up there and will be back to test my theory sometime in the near future.  My daughter has been begging for some smoked trout and I would like to get into some of those nice bows.

Sorry to hear about your k-drill.  That really sucks.
Thanks it does stink that it happened. Hope your hunch pays off.
You lucky dog. Four daughters and a wife in my home, and I can't get one to come fishing with me in the best of times.

Thanks for the report.
Yes I have been lucky with her joining me on occasion this last year.  Our kids are older now so it isn't just her delving out snacks and not being able to fish.  It also helped that we upgraded our boat and now have a lot more room.  Still surprised me that she even offered to go ice fishing with me. I'll take it! We enjoy spending time together.
anything over 10"? i had a guy telling me they caught 12-16" perch i told him hes a liar.
We didn't but there are a few in there.  I iced a 13" last year and several over 12".  I also got a 12" during early fall.  I think it was T-Boz that got one over 14" right after ice up this year.  But they must be few and far between because I haven't seen many posted anywhere. If someone caught one over 15" I'd be asking for a picture with board or tape.  He's probably stretching it a bit.
Sounds like a fun trip. I've been married for 55 years and my wife has only fished with me one time. My oldest son likes to fish along with 3 grandsons who like fishing.
(01-04-2021, 11:37 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: anything over 10"? i had a guy telling me they caught 12-16" perch i told him hes a liar.
I got this gal at echo measured 14” and I was winning the ice contest early on with her but some sour puss complained that I had to photoshop my ice challenge tag in as I hadn’t laminated it yet but they are there but as mentioned before few and far between. I’d venture to say this is the biggest one caught out of there this year and there’s been thousands!! A Personal Best I’ll probably never beat[Image: E8-C87457-820-A-4677-8-E30-FAE77-D6-E0-E9-C.jpg]