Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smith and Morehouse
With borrowed truck and snowmobiles, I headed out with the family to recreate the trip last missed.

Arrived at 0745 and parked at the turn off. It was a fun little ride to the lake and there was not another soul around. I was surprised how low the water was. It was cold, overcast, and snowed off and on, but little accumulation. We set up on the opposite side of the lake in 12-20 FOW and began catching little rainbows and grayling pretty quickly. Most fish were off the bottom, but fish were caught throughout the water column.

The slush was all frozen and the ice was an easy 12+ inches.

Ended up catching 4 kokes about 14". 2 were silver and 2 were red. I'm not a biologist, but I think it has to due with maturity/spawning?
Do the kokanee in Smith and Morehouse have a chance to spawn in that little river?

In the end there was a plethora of tiny trout, some grayling, and the kokes.

I've never been up there in the winter, so it was a lot of fun to see and fish the lake when it's frozen.
Thanks for the great report. I've been jealous of those who have gone. How close to the lake can one get in a 4x4? What kind of lures and bait should we bring if we go?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Been waiting to see if them grayling will get some size - might be waiting a while
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(01-07-2021, 03:13 AM)catchinon Wrote: Thanks for the great report. I've been jealous of those who have gone. How close to the lake can one get in a 4x4? What kind of lures and bait should we bring if we go?

A couple people drove up to the ramp while we were there. The road was packed snow when we went up, but I don't know if they got much snow from these last small storms.

We went small with pink/whit/green jig heads w/ various sorts of worms. I had pretty good luck with a pink nuclear ant. Very light bite and active jigging.