Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Rockport Report 1/6
Was at Rockport today from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Only caught three yellow perch. Gave up on trying for perch around noon and focused on targeting trout, but couldn't get anything there either. Everyone I talked to on the ice was doing poorly as well. Ice was six inches. I was by the boat ramp.

Any tips for Rockport? Today was my first time ice fishing it.
(01-07-2021, 12:19 AM)Countryb0y22 Wrote: Was at Rockport today from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Only caught three yellow perch. Gave up on trying for perch around noon and focused on targeting trout, but couldn't get anything there either. Everyone I talked to on the ice was doing poorly as well. Ice was six inches. I was by the boat ramp.

I've always had much better luck on the west side by the cliffs but getting all your gear down the steep slope is difficult and parking is usually an issue. Haven't fished there for a few years but I usually had success using a Northland Forage Small Fry jig (tipped with meal worm or wax worm) suspended under a small spoon.  Was good for the trout also.
(01-07-2021, 12:19 AM)Countryb0y22 Wrote: Was at Rockport today from 8:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Only caught three yellow perch. Gave up on trying for perch around noon and focused on targeting trout, but couldn't get anything there either. Everyone I talked to on the ice was doing poorly as well. Ice was six inches. I was by the boat ramp.

I did okay last week near the dam. 30 to 40 ft. It is hard to drag a sled up and down the hill with the low water. The rocks make it quite a job. 
Gabe
I have hit Rockport several times 12/30, 1/1, and 1/6. 40ft was the magic depth for perch for me. Right off the bottom. They would hit lightly every time I jigged. Small cast master with a wax worm. Not as much luck at other depths. I haven't caught any of the big perch everyone else are posting, all of mine have been 6-8 inches. I had my fill of them and switched to trout.

Trout seem to be at 8-15 ft no matter what depth of water I am fishing. Small tube jigs (yellow with white legs is best) with wax worms or power bait, yellow corn flavored nuggets have worked best for me. Bite for trout is slow but consistent, a school seems to go by about every 20-30 minutes. If I am not getting bits every 15-30 minutes then I change the back and forth with the powerbait or the wax worms until I find what they want. It has seemed to me I start the day with wax worms, then switch to power bait and then finish the day with wax worms again if I want them to keep biting. Maybe its just random. I have had best of luck with trout in water 12-20 ft deep with my lure 10-15 feet deep. I didn't take pics of the perch, but here are some pics of me and my son last Saturday.
[Image: rockport-2-1-21.jpg]

[Image: rockport-6-1-21.jpg]

[Image: rockport-5-1-21.jpg]