Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport report 1/5/21
I joined up with T-Boz on Tuesday to see if we could do any good at Rockport. I ran into travel issues what with the storm and all. I always find it interesting to come upon cars on their sides with their headlights shining off down into the Provo River. So Trenton got all set up and came back for me on his Razor when I got there a little later. The good news is that he already had two fair perch on the ice. The park ranger came by and we chatted for a while. He let us know that it was against the rules to use an orv to access the lake so we ended up hoofing it. I wasnt there long when I caught a very small perch. I told Trenton that its name was NOT "skunk." I followed it up later with a much smaller guppy. Meanwhile he caught a few more and a couple of them were big enough to take home to eat. Mine were destined for the bait freezer. The bite really was cold all day. Trenton drilled some new holes and set up for trout. He got a nice 19.5" rainbow, then an average one. I drilled a lot of holes moving around trying to jack up some kind of action. Was seeing pretty much zilch. Sometime after noon I worked my way back to our starting spot, borrowed some of Trenton's hot bait and managed to land a nice 19" rainbow. The trout were caught somewhere in the 12-16' range.

I drilled holes in water from 16'-42'. Depth didn't seem to make a lot of difference but the trout were caught in 42 fow. Both pink and green worked. If T-Boz wants to tell more details I'm sure he'll chime in.

The ice was 5.5-6.5" with an inch or so of snow that turned to slush wherever we were.

I stopped at the little store there and entered my fish in the weekly contest. I was the first to enter. I was in first place and if no one enters a bigger one by Saturday I'll win a free pizza.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(01-07-2021, 02:32 AM)catchinon Wrote: I joined up with T-Boz on Tuesday to see if we could do any good at Rockport. I ran into travel issues what with the storm and all. I always find it interesting to come upon cars on their sides with their headlights shining off down into the Provo River. So Trenton got all set up and came back for me on his Razor when I got there a little later. The good news is that he already had two fair perch on the ice. The park ranger came by and we chatted for a while. He let us know that it was against the rules to use an orv to access the lake so we ended up hoofing it. I wasnt there long when I caught a very small perch. I told Trenton that its name was NOT "skunk." I followed it up later with a much smaller guppy. Meanwhile he caught a few more and a couple of them were big enough to take home to eat. Mine were destined for the bait freezer. The bite really was cold all day. Trenton drilled some new holes and set up for trout. He got a nice 19.5" rainbow, then an average one. I drilled a lot of holes moving around trying to jack up some kind of action. Was seeing pretty much zilch. Sometime after noon I worked my way back to our starting spot, borrowed some of Trenton's hot bait and managed to land a nice 19" rainbow. The trout were caught somewhere in the 12-16' range.

I drilled holes in water from 16'-42'. Depth didn't seem to make a lot of difference but the trout were caught in 42 fow. Both pink and green worked. If T-Boz wants to tell more details I'm sure he'll chime in.

The ice was 5.5-6.5" with an inch or so of snow that turned to slush wherever we were.

I stopped at the little store there and entered my fish in the weekly contest. I was the first to enter. I was in first place and if no one enters a bigger one by Saturday I'll win a free pizza.
This pretty well sums it up![Image: 760-DF84-F-D8-B1-4-BDB-B9-C9-C04-D31-E63-F86.jpg]

[Image: 7-D920661-AB30-476-C-861-B-1678-CD04-EDB0.jpg]
you stated "The park ranger came by and we chatted for a while. He let us know that it was against the rules to use an orv to access the lake so we ended up hoofing it."  what did you mean by that?  were you trying to get on the lake somewhere other than the boat dock and that's why you were denied access, or was it the razor specifically  that was not aloud?  
We were at the first toilets about a mile from the dam.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

okay, I'm going to assume then that it was the access point, and that snowmobiles and 4 wheelers have not been banned from the lake.
(01-07-2021, 05:39 AM)Deepwateroff Wrote: okay, I'm going to assume then that it was the access point, and that snowmobiles and 4 wheelers have not been banned from the lake.
I agree with you, it was likely the location, from what I was told, you can only access the lake from the boat ramp, when using ATV's or snowmobiles. Same rule at other state parks.
(01-07-2021, 01:21 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(01-07-2021, 05:39 AM)Deepwateroff Wrote: okay, I'm going to assume then that it was the access point, and that snowmobiles and 4 wheelers have not been banned from the lake.
I agree with you, it was likely the location, from what I was told, you can only access the lake from the boat ramp, when using ATV's or snowmobiles. Same rule at other state parks.
Yea they only allow access from the ramp side. Or in other words from designated access points. Everything west is walk in only
I have usually gone down the steep area by the other toilets or down the rip-rap on the dam in the past. The place we went down this time was a walk in the park (pun intended) in comparison. My bad knee appreciated it.

Just wanted to point out that the ice isn't thick enough for a razor, so going down the ramp wouldn't have worked. IMHO it isn't thick enough for a snowmobile either, though I'm sure many people wouldn't hesitate.

(01-07-2021, 04:56 PM)Haha catchinon Wrote: I have usually gone down the steep area by the other toilets or down the rip-rap on the dam in the past. The place we went down this time was a walk in the park (pun intended) in comparison. My bad knee appreciated it.

Just wanted to point out that the ice isn't thick enough for a razor, so going down the ramp wouldn't have worked. IMHO it isn't thick enough for a snowmobile either, though I'm sure many people wouldn't hesitate.
If I had a snowmobile I’d have no problem taking it on that ice honestly but my razor being a 4 seater weighs 1600lbs dry so there’s no way in hell I’d trust in on 5-6” of ice. I’d feel safe on a sled though
(01-07-2021, 04:56 PM)catchinon Wrote: Just wanted to point out that the ice isn't thick enough for a razor, so going down the ramp wouldn't have worked. IMHO it isn't thick enough for a snowmobile either, though I'm sure many people wouldn't hesitate.
Craig,

I don't intend to make you do something that you are uncomfortable in doing.  But you are incorrect about the ice being safe for an snowmobiles or SnowDogs.  Almost every ice load chart you can find says that 5" clear ice is enough to support them.  My go to thickness with my old snowmobile (600 plus lbs weight) was 5" and in 8 years never had a problem or close call.  My new go to thickness for the Snowdog (340 lbs weight) is 4".  Now this is, of course, 4" of CLEAR ice, not frozen snow (milky ice).

I have no experience with UTVs, but that was more than enough for snowmobiles, ATVs, or SnowDogs.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I suppose you're right Bob. I bow to your experience. And hopefully I'll get a snowmobile and have to worry about it myself. Quick question: is using a snowmobile worth the hassle? Are there times and places when a person would be as well off just walking?