Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deer Creek in the tube
A buddy and I fished DC from our tubes on Thursday and when we got there it looked like the upper half of the reservoir was iced over and there was some ice down near the dam.  We launched at the main state park ramp about 10:00 and fished up Wallsburg Bay and around the ramp area until about 2:30.  There was already one boat on the water when we got there.

We used our usual fly gear, medium sinking lines and various size 8 bead head leeches and buggers.  We only managed to pick up four fish, all rainbows between 12" - 15" long.  We did hook three good fish but they outsmarted us. Tongue  

The water temperature was 35 degrees and the visibility in the water of about 7' - 8'.  The reservoir is 71% full and rising.

There were a half dozen shore anglers and we never saw any of them catch any fish.  I talked with a guy in a boat who got there about the same time we did and he said he had picked up four fish also and they were all of the smaller variety.

It was not fast fishing by any means but it was still a chance to float our boats.  It might be about time that we have to stay home and just tie flies.  I hate this time of year when you can tie them faster than you can lose them. Big Grin

Very nice photos. DC has quite a backdrop
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Beautiful out there!!
I just got back from another short trip to DC.  It really started out to be a trip to Jordanelle but when we got there this morning at 9:00 the reservoir was pretty much all capped so we headed on down to DC.

There were three of us, two in pontoons and me in my tube.  We launched at the main boat ramp about 10:00 and fished mostly east of there and into Wallsburg Bay. We had a north breeze come up and pushed ice up toward the boat ramp so we had to bail out about 1:00.  

We used lines all the way from an intermediate line to a number 7 sinking line and various bead head mohair and bunny leeches.  We picked up thirteen fish, one 19” brown and the rest were rainbows from 14” to 19” long.  We missed a few more fish than we caught so it was pretty slow.  There were three boats out and a few guys on shore but most didn’t stay very long because of the overcast sky and cold temperature.

The water temperature was 36 degrees and the visibility in the water of about 7’ – 8’.  The reservoir level is 72% full and rising.

It was nice to get out one more time but I'm afraid this might be it. Sad

Attached Files Image(s)

Even the personal watercraft ramp at Jordanelle had ice?

On may way to work today it looked like open water.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
(01-13-2021, 03:33 AM)a_bow_nut Wrote: Even the personal watercraft ramp at Jordanelle had ice?

Yeah, we checked it too.  There was some open water around the reservoir but no way to access it that we could see. Sad
(01-13-2021, 03:33 AM)a_bow_nut Wrote: Even the personal watercraft ramp at Jordanelle had ice?

I launched my boat at Jordy on Saturday morning the 9th. I used the PWC ramp and the dock was still there but the main ramp was completely dry and usable also. I never saw any ice whatsoever in the main lake and the water was 37 degrees.  I'm very surprised to hear it capped so quickly.
Great pic's

Thanks for sharing
(01-13-2021, 06:48 PM)FishfulThinkin Wrote:

I launched my boat at Jordy on Saturday morning the 9th. I used the PWC ramp and the dock was still there but the main ramp was completely dry and usable also. I never saw any ice whatsoever in the main lake and the water was 37 degrees.  I'm very surprised to hear it capped so quickly.

One of the guys I fished with is from Park City and he drove over there on Sunday and said everything around the main ramp was wide open and that is why we planned to go there. 

With very little wind and cold nights, things can change in a hurry.