Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Sled modification- smitty variant
I have wanted to modify my sled for a while now. I finally sourced all the parts and got it out together. Using aluminum tubing and HDPE instead of the typical wood structure. Hopefully it works well. Need to weigh it, I know I could shave some weight if I had the pipe welded instead of using the brackets.

[Image: 6-AF47-BEC-CDE5-4-DC7-B914-5-DA095-F19-A0-C.jpg]
Good looking set up. Go fill it up with fillets
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(01-10-2021, 01:14 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Good looking set up. Go fill it up with fillets

Thanks going to give it a try tomorrow. Looks like Mantua will be the maiden voyage.
Looks great, if you want to check how much weight you saved, put it up against mine.. you can probably get all your gear in your sled and still be below my empty weight. Nice job!!!
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(01-09-2021, 10:59 PM)JArner Wrote: I have wanted to modify my sled for a while now. I finally sourced all the parts and got it out together. Using aluminum tubing and HDPE instead of the typical wood structure. Hopefully it works well. Need to weigh it, I know I could shave some weight if I had the pipe welded instead of using the brackets.

Good looking streamlined rig. How did it work?  Did you make or buy the brackets that attach to the skies?
(01-10-2021, 06:10 PM)Dayfish Wrote:
(01-09-2021, 10:59 PM)JArner Wrote: I have wanted to modify my sled for a while now. I finally sourced all the parts and got it out together. Using aluminum tubing and HDPE instead of the typical wood structure. Hopefully it works well. Need to weigh it, I know I could shave some weight if I had the pipe welded instead of using the brackets.

Good looking streamlined rig. How did it work?  Did you make or buy the brackets that attach to the skies?

Tried it out today at Mantua. It worked pretty well in the 1.5” snow on top of the ice. Hard to say how much better it is. Still work up a sweat walking across the lake in bibs. 
The brackets on the skies I made from HDPE and a hole saw.
(01-10-2021, 10:13 PM)JArner Wrote:
(01-10-2021, 06:10 PM)Dayfish Wrote:

Tried it out today at Mantua. It worked pretty well in the 1.5” snow on top of the ice. Hard to say how much better it is. Still work up a sweat walking across the lake in bibs. 
The brackets on the skies I made from HDPE and a hole saw.
Thanks for the info. You gave me some ideas. Did you wax the skies? Might help a bunch.
I thought about waxing them today as I was hauling it across the lake. I will try that in the future.
I'm sure it's way better than pulling the sled across the snow, be even bigger difference in deeper snow.
Nice sled! If you weigh it , let us know what it is.
I'd guess it wouldn't be more than 30 lbs, wouldn't lose maybe a 1-2 lbs by welding the pipe is all.
(01-12-2021, 12:32 AM)muirco Wrote: Nice sled! If you weigh it , let us know what it is.

All together the sled is 25.5 lbs

13.3 lbs for the skies and the cross members. 

(01-12-2021, 12:42 AM)meancuznalfy Wrote: I'd guess it wouldn't be  more than 30 lbs, wouldn't lose maybe a 1-2 lbs by welding the pipe is all.

yep you’re right on the money. I still may need to have them welded, because the brackets came loose and. Let the skies get a bit skewed. Going to try loctite first though.
Always a learning curve on each sled, but that's okay, they keep getting better.... I've found that wax don't last long on mine, I tend to pull it across dry pavement too often... BTW right now the smitty's don't do a lot better than just a sled, but as the snow gets deeper you will love the difference... I really like what the skis do for hauling my loads... I've found durability and toughness has been far more important than weight, but I pull it with the sleds for most of the season so I deal with the extra weight early so it holds together on the big pulls later... Good luck with yours... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I'd just drill the bracket through and use a bolt with a lock nut, shouldn't ever come loose that way.
Had it out on PV last night. Saw snow and a little slush, the sled handles it fine. And the loctite seemed to hold up as well. If it doesn’t I will probably drill them through like meancuznalfy mentioned above.
Nice, glad it worked out for you.