Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hyrum 1/9
Took my son and fished off the swim beach in 34 FOW.  Catching was slow and the bite light.  30 mins after the sun can over the mountains, the fish finally got a little active.  It stayed slow but steady until about 11 then died out.  We then moved further east and about the middle of the lake in 30 FOW.  Drilled holes and iced 5 quick but then it slowed down again.  We had 10 on the ice when we left at 1:15.  Tried one last spot close to the beach in about 10 FOW and it was dead still.  Talked to some folks fishing a little further out but still shallow, and they only caught 2 all morning.  That was enough for me and we pulled stakes at 2.

Best lures for us were yellow with green or green with yellow striped glow Halis with a white glow ratfinkie with pink body above.  The fish literally would not hit much anything else.  We ended up icing 30 - 29 perch and one wayward slimey.  The perch are nice this year - avg size was 9.5-10" with a couple pushing 11".
Sounds like a decent outing, hopefully it picks up a bit. Had some great days last season.
Congrats, that sounds like you did very well, considering the numbers at Hyrum this year... Thanks for sharing what you found worked... I'd found those colors to be what has worked for me as well... I need to try the ratfinkie if you're getting the bigger fish with them too... I upsized and used a perch talker with the chain and bait on a treble hook and it seemed to work, but not quite as well as it sounds like your combo is working... Thanks Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(01-11-2021, 02:17 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Congrats, that sounds like you did very well, considering the numbers at Hyrum this year... Thanks for sharing what you found worked... I'd found those colors to be what has worked for me as well... I need to try the ratfinkie if you're getting the bigger fish with them too... I upsized and used a perch talker with the chain and bait on a treble hook and it seemed to work, but not quite as well as it sounds like your combo is working...  Thanks Jeff
Definitely not fast and furious, but from those that we spoke to (and others in our party), we did just about as good or better than others.  I was even doing some "glassing" while out on the ice, and I just didn't see much action for any of the parties out on the ice.  A few fish here or there, but that was about it. The ratfinkie has worked well so far this winter - I believe size 8.  We have gotten more fish on those than spoons, Halis, etc. that are our lower lure.  Even caught a couple doubles at Utah Lake on them when the whites were in town.
The ratfinkie has usually always worked for me as well, but I was catching mostly smaller fish with it so I went to bigger baits to try to get bigger fish, guess it's a good idea to keep trying old favorites, even fish like reruns... The hooks were sort of wimpy in the ratfinkies too, so after breaking a hook I sort of went away from them... Guess I'll have to give them another try... Thanks J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!