Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview with the dog
Took the dog to Pineview to see how the ice was. I first went to Browning Point to see if there was enough snow to drive the dog down to the water. Plenty of packed snow but limited parking with about 12 vehicles. Next I went past Port Ramp to the cove area. Wow what a steep drop to the ice. The dirt stairway was bare and needless to say, I didn't unload the dog there. I next went to Port Ramp to access the ice. Lots of vehicles, but plenty of parking. Looking out toward Cemetery Point, it looked like tent city. Probably 30 tents plus those without tents. Unloaded dog at Port Ramp.
      I made this trip to check the size of crappie and to see if I could haul all my gear on just the dog and dogsled. I strapped the tent to one side of the dog and the auger to the other side. Rod holders and fishfinder in the dog's cargo area. I put lawnchair, rods, and gear into the dogsled with me. Plenty of room for me. I now know that I can have my other sleds for company. 
      I stopped twice on the way to the Narrows to show off the dog and let others try it out. All were impressed, or so they said. Spent an hour at the Narrows in 40 fow with 6-8 inches of ice. Caught several crappie in the 7-8 inch range about 6 feet off the bottom using Johnson spoon with a small piece of chub. Released all. Neighbors were catching mostly small perch fishing on the bottom with jig and worm. I was trying out some braid line on both reels. It seemed to freeze up more than mono. One crappie spiraled around the second pole and made such a mess that I reeled it in and put it away.
       Temp was about 11* , but I didn't put up my tent, not expecting to stay long. Note to self: wet hand and metal handle pliers can be painful at low temps. Need to change pliers.

[Image: MVI-1297-Moment-3.jpg]

[Image: MVI-1298-Moment.jpg]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
Looks like the Dog was a good investment, thanks for the report Hue. Was not wearing a hat for a photo op or do you never wear a hat while ice fishing?
(01-10-2021, 11:26 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Looks like the Dog was a good investment, thanks for the report Hew. Was not wearing a hat for a photo op or do you never wear a hat while ice fishing?
I like it more every time I use it. I usually wear knit cap plus hood on coat. Took off for photo op.

Hue  Smile
(01-10-2021, 11:33 PM)BURLEY Wrote:
(01-10-2021, 11:26 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Looks like the Dog was a good investment, thanks for the report Hew. Was not wearing a hat for a photo op or do you never wear a hat while ice fishing?
I like it more every time I use it. I usually wear knit cap plus hood on coat. Took off for photo op.

Hue  Smile
Ditto on the liking it more each trip.  Last Friday at Rockport, there were 6 dogs running around and no snowmobiles or quads.  Three of the 6 were home builds.  I'm pulling three sleds all the time.  No reason not to.

[Image: IMG-7588.jpg]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(01-11-2021, 12:15 AM)dubob Wrote:  Three of the 6 were home builds.  

That is interesting, did you get a look at the home built ones? I'd be interested to hear how they looked? Did they look like either of these?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGbhaKdPMJU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z9I60TZKb8
(01-11-2021, 12:48 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

That is interesting, did you get a look at the home built ones? I'd be interested to hear how they looked?
I didn't get a close look at them.  All three were together and came by me as I was loading up my gear when I was leaving.  They were all piled into a flatbed pickup.  They might be members on here that could respond.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I just added a couple of links to my reply above, did they look like either of them?
(01-10-2021, 10:38 PM)BURLEY Wrote: Took the dog to Pineview to see how the ice was. I first went to Browning Point to see if there was enough snow to drive the dog down to the water. Plenty of packed snow but limited parking with about 12 vehicles. Next I went past Port Ramp to the cove area. Wow what a steep drop to the ice. The dirt stairway was bare and needless to say, I didn't unload the dog there. I next went to Port Ramp to access the ice. Lots of vehicles, but plenty of parking. Looking out toward Cemetery Point, it looked like tent city. Probably 30 tents plus those without tents. Unloaded dog at Port Ramp.
      I made this trip to check the size of crappie and to see if I could haul all my gear on just the dog and dogsled. I strapped the tent to one side of the dog and the auger to the other side. Rod holders and fishfinder in the dog's cargo area. I put lawnchair, rods, and gear into the dogsled with me. Plenty of room for me. I now know that I can have my other sleds for company. 
      I stopped twice on the way to the Narrows to show off the dog and let others try it out. All were impressed, or so they said. Spent an hour at the Narrows in 40 fow with 6-8 inches of ice. Caught several crappie in the 7-8 inch range about 6 feet off the bottom using Johnson spoon with a small piece of chub. Released all. Neighbors were catching mostly small perch fishing on the bottom with jig and worm. I was trying out some braid line on both reels. It seemed to freeze up more than mono. One crappie spiraled around the second pole and made such a mess that I reeled it in and put it away.
       Temp was about 11* , but I didn't put up my tent, not expecting to stay long. Note to self: wet hand and metal handle pliers can be painful at low temps. Need to change pliers.

[Image: MVI-1297-Moment-3.jpg]

[Image: MVI-1298-Moment.jpg]
When you were at browning point can you tell me if a 50 Inch wide wheeler can fit threw the trail??
Doital5000, No, it would not fit. The opening looks to be about 36" max between large cement barriers. I would suggest you enter at Port Ramp. I saw 4 wheeler tracks entering and leaving at the ramp. There is no area for parking a trailer at Browning. It's a short ride anyway for a wheeler to get there from the ramp.
(01-11-2021, 03:24 AM)BURLEY Wrote: Doital5000, No, it would not fit. The opening looks to be about 36" max between large cement barriers. I would suggest you enter at Port Ramp. I saw 4 wheeler tracks entering and leaving at the ramp. There is no area for parking a trailer at Browning. It's a short ride anyway for a wheeler to get there from the ramp.
Thank you    May the fish be with you
There is one thing that I don't like about my snowdog and that is having to breath the exhaust fumes that blows upward right towards the operator. I may have to modify that some way.
(01-11-2021, 12:48 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

That is interesting, did you get a look at the home built ones? I'd be interested to hear how they looked? Did they look like either of these?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGbhaKdPMJU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z9I60TZKb8
None of them looked like either of those.

(01-11-2021, 02:36 PM)BURLEY Wrote: There is one thing that I don't like about my snowdog and that is having to breath the exhaust fumes that blows upward right towards the operator. I may have to modify that some way.
My odor sensors don't work any more, so I haven't noticed.  I would also think that while moving, the fumes are moving past you in the windstream without any detrimental effects on a driver standing up.  Driving while seated might be a little more concerning.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I turned my exhaust to the side. It as easy as there is just 3 screws. I feel like it helped with the fumes. Also by turning sideways now if I am out in snowy weather, the snow can not enter the exhaust while I am parked and fishing.

(01-11-2021, 02:36 PM)BURLEY Wrote: There is one thing that I don't like about my snowdog and that is having to breath the exhaust fumes that blows upward right towards the operator. I may have to modify that some way.
I turned my exhaust to the side. It as easy as there is just 3 screws. I feel like it helped with the fumes. Also by turning sideways now if I am out in snowy weather, the snow can not enter the exhaust while I am parked and fishing.
Thanks JBSPARKIE. Just got done rotating it. I may have to be careful now with what I strap to the side of the dog, but I can work with that. I'm always interested in the modifications that people have made to their machines.