Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 1/10
I had a surprisingly very slow and disappointing day for my first trip up there. Although, we still had a lot of fun as it's always nice to get out with the family.

I did most of my fishing last year during the week, so it was also surprising to see so many groups out- everywhere. Maybe everyone is as tired and over the masking/distancing/stay home if you can as I am.

7" of ice everywhere I drilled and we fished out of chicken east. Didn't hit any slush but there is a very large and pronounced pressure ridge running east/west  for a very long distance (as far as the eye can see) that I did not see anyone try to cross. There was also a lot of smaller pronounced cracks that ran the depth of the ice, but everything was solid and clear.

The only fish caught were off the bottom with a glow/white jig and worm in 25-30 fow. I tried just about everything I had in my growing ice fishing arsenal. We also didn't move because I'd rather not catch fish than deal with trying to get the kids out of a warm tent. I walked about 50 yards in various directions from the tent. Nowhere seemed to be better than anywhere else. I also forgot my finder and that made it a little more frustrating.

Finally, the amount of garbage stuffed into the bathroom and surrounding area was pretty disgusting and unexpected. I don't think I've ever seen it so bad. Although, I was fly fishing down on the Boulder and surrounding areas late last fall and nearly every bear box was full of trash. So, maybe I should have expected it or I shouldn't have been surprised.
Im glad you caught fish and had fun. Strawberry can be hit or miss. I beleive staying put and not using a sonar much when fishing for trout is best, but im not a big trout angler.