Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Testing homemade Snowdog @ Strawberry
Me and a buddy have been working on a home-made snowdog, and finally got to a point  we were confident in taking out into the wild for the first time. Due to some bad Oysters the co-creator was unable to join me for the maiden voyage.  I arrived at the ladders a full 2 hours behind my planned schedule, but I was finally out for my first trip of the season.  Got the sleds hooked up to the Snowcomotive, as I like to call it, and headed for Sage Hen Knoll.  The machine did well and got me there without any problems.   Drilled my first holes  in 30 FOW and caught two Rainbows as soon as the marabou hit 10' then nothing. Moved around a few times trying different depths but it was hard to locate the fish, even harder to get them to bite.  I was able to ice two Cutts around 1pm and called it quits 30 minutes later. Now time to make a few adjustments on the machine before the next trip.
[Image: 20210110-125849.jpg][Image: 20210110-101417.jpg]
Well done. What did you use to power it?
On Friday, there was a trio of home made Dogs on the Rockport ice.  All of them came together on one flatbed P/U truck.  I didn't have a chance to check them out, but they are becoming quite popular.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Clean looking machine. Glad it is working for you. I'm sure that you will continue working on it, like adding studs, hangers, straps, drink holder, rear view mirrors, etc. Good job.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
(01-11-2021, 01:51 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Well done.  What did you use to power it?
It is powered by a lightly modified Predator 212 engine, with a 30 series torque converter. It is currently geared extremely low, 17 to 1, so has plenty of power but top speed is a bit slow. It is still faster then walking though.
(01-11-2021, 04:03 PM)RedNekFishR Wrote:
(01-11-2021, 01:51 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Well done.  What did you use to power it?
It is powered by a lightly modified Predator 212 engine, with a 30 series torque converter. It is currently geared extremely low, 17 to 1, so has plenty of power but top speed is a bit slow. It is still faster then walking though.
Did you shorten the track and if so how difficult was that. Congratulations on the on the build shows off some skill and ingenuity.
What is the approximate weight?
(01-11-2021, 02:31 PM)BURLEY Wrote: Clean looking machine. Glad it is working for you. I'm sure that you will continue working on it, like adding studs, hangers, straps, drink holder, rear view mirrors, etc. Good job.
Thank you.  Definitely need to work on a few things, first being a muffler and mud flap. Then need to finish painting it and maybe a possible gear change. After all that then I'll think about that cup holder  Wink .

(01-11-2021, 04:19 PM)Fowl-Hook Wrote: Did you shorten the track and if so how difficult was that. Congratulations on the on the build shows off some skill and ingenuity.
What is the approximate weight?
The track was left the original length. I would guess it weighs around 300 lbs.
Awesome fabrication. It looks like it could handle some pretty serious snow/ice conditions.
That looks really good. Nice work.
Nice, are you taking orders for building another one? Smile
Was it made from an older snowmobile?
(01-12-2021, 07:05 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Nice, are you taking orders for building another one? Smile
  Currently not taking orders...maybe once the ice is gone. Yes we did use parts from an older snowmobile.  I was able to find a track, drive axel, and the undercarriage for a great deal on KSL.  Saved us a lot of time over trying to cut apart a whole sled.
(01-12-2021, 07:27 PM)RedNekFishR Wrote:
(01-12-2021, 07:05 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Nice, are you taking orders for building another one? Smile
  Currently not taking orders...maybe once the ice is gone. Yes we did use parts from an older snowmobile.  I was able to find a track, drive axel, and the undercarriage for a great deal on KSL.  Saved us a lot of time over trying to cut apart a whole sled.
How much do you have tied up with building that one?
(01-12-2021, 07:35 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: How much do you have tied up with building that one?

We are about $800 give or take, and about 5 weekends of work on it.
(01-12-2021, 07:43 PM)RedNekFishR Wrote:
(01-12-2021, 07:35 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: How much do you have tied up with building that one?

We are about $800 give or take, and about 5 weekends of work on it.
That's not bad, were you able to use the engine from the snowmobile you bought? What gave you the idea to build one yourself?
(01-12-2021, 07:51 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: That's not bad, were you able to use the engine from the snowmobile you bought? What gave you the idea to build one yourself?
The engine is a 6.5hp from harbor freight.  I was able to find the track, slides/bogies wheels and the drive axle with cogs from a guy who already parted out the rest of the machine, so we had no engine to start with. Our original plan was buy a whole old sled but then decided just trying to find the parts we needed would be better.  It saved us alot of time not having to tear apart an entire sled and try to get rid of what we did not want or need.  The downside is we had to fab our own handle bars and source our throttle and kill switch.
We have been talking about building one for a couple years now. I came across a Snowdog online and thought they were pretty cool and would be nice to be mobile. I spent lots of time watching YouTube videos and searching the internet for other peoples builds.It was amazing how much more willing I was to move around when I didn't have to pull my sled. We joked that we were putting all this work into something because we were too lazy to walk.