Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
FG this last weekend
Got out to the gorge this last weekend. We went out lost dog to the end and went upstream as we knew the ice thickness would be fine for what we were hauling out from our scouting trip the weekend before. Ended up on 12in+ of ice and there was people fishing as far as we could see when we pulled out yesterday. Looks like the confluence ice is thick enough for sure with all the peeps out around there. I didn't pick a very good camp spot and we only ended up with just a couple of burbot in camp and the rest were pups, cuts and a few bows. Biggest fish was a burb coming in at 25in. caught out deeper off the channel. We'll be back up in 2wks and I'm pretty confident we'll be fishing further south for sure. Only got a couple pics this trip.

[Image: 20210109-145637-capture.jpg]

[Image: 20210109-145614-capture.jpg]

[Image: 20210109-134139-capture.jpg]

[Image: 20210108-151024-capture.jpg]
Excuse my ignorance, but do all burbot look like a third world child with a big belly and no muscle? It seems like a large fish not to have a healthier look. My brother keeps mentioning about wanting to try fishing for them, so I'm just was wondering about the body shape.
Good fishing to all.   Hue
Is there enough burbot left in there to justify a trip from the salt lake area up there? It really seems like they are getting few and far between. I have always wanted to catch and eat them though.
(01-11-2021, 07:26 PM)BURLEY Wrote: Excuse my ignorance, but do all burbot look like a third world child with a big belly and no muscle? It seems like a large fish not to have a healthier look. My brother keeps mentioning about wanting to try fishing for them, so I'm just was wondering about the body shape.

They do look different thru the season. Right now they're spawning. That one was a big female, chucked full of eggs. Here's a few of the bigger ones we've pulled over the years usually after the spawn so if they're fat its usually a big fish they've ate or a bunch of smaller fish, crayfish, ect.... we just use them to keep us busy after dark. Can be a lot of fun if your into them or the pups cuts and bows with the occasional brown. 

[Image: IMG207.jpg]

[Image: IMG201-Copy.jpg]

[Image: IMG066.jpg]

[Image: IMG112.jpg]
(01-11-2021, 09:36 PM)filletedalive Wrote: Is there enough burbot left in there to justify a trip from the salt lake area up there? It really seems like they are getting few and far between. I have always wanted to catch and eat them though.
It is worth it if you like catching fish and want that experience. I fish them from a boat.  They are fun!
(01-11-2021, 09:36 PM)filletedalive Wrote: Is there enough burbot left in there to justify a trip from the salt lake area up there? It really seems like they are getting few and far between. I have always wanted to catch and eat them though.

Definitely worth it but like I said I picked the wrong spot on this last trip. Locating them can be tricky sometimes.