Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry Nights
I know there have been other reports for Strawberry for this last weekend but here is another aspect to it.  I was there from Friday afternoon until about noon on Saturday.  I was about two miles out from the marina towards the entrance to the Narrows.  I set up about 1:00 on Friday in 16 feet of water and got very little action the rest of the afternoon.  Even the fish that did come by on the finder were lookers not hookers.  I think I caught 5 fish in about 5 hours.  Not exactly hot catching.  Then just after dark at around 6:15 it was like the fish Gods flicked a switch.  Fish were everywhere and they were hungry!  I caught at least 30 (lost count) and had to stop fishing with two poles because I couldn't keep up.  It was pretty much a fish at every drop.  To top it off I caught a nice fat rainbow and a 23 inch slot buster.  I stopped fishing at around 7:45 because I was hungry and frankly tired of wrangling fish.  The bite did taper off after about 7:00 or so but was still pretty steady.  Saturday morning I was down the hole at around 7:00 AM and it was still dark.  The bite was pretty good until it started to get pretty light outside then died a slow death.  My point being that even on slow days like by all accounts this weekend was at Strawberry, the bite can be much different after dark and before light in the morning.  I am not a hard core fish all night kind of person so I can't say what the bite did or does as the night goes on but you might want to try to stay a little longer or get there a little earlier especially on slow days.  It seems to work for me.  The Ice was a good 7 inches of solid ice and I had no trouble riding my snowmobile over the lake.  There is the typical pressure ridge going from Haws Point to the SW but there was no problem crossing it and I saw no open water around it.
Great report and congrats on the 23in bow.  I totally agree with the bite. Pretty much why I ice camp so often and get a good 2 days 2 nights in. How thick of ice did stay on? Did you go over into renegade?
(01-11-2021, 06:31 PM)Muskyon46 Wrote: Great report and congrats on the 23in bow.  I totally agree with the bite. Pretty much why I ice camp so often and get a good 2 days 2 nights in. How thick of ice did stay on? Did you go over into renegade?
I'm a wimp when it comes to ice camping.  I buzzed back and stayed in a nice warm, clean room at the lodge.  The ice was 7 inches everywhere I was. I did not go into Renegade and did not see any machine tracks going into it from the main chanel.  Someone else might be able to comment on that.

(01-11-2021, 06:24 PM)Fisharefriends Wrote: I know there have been other reports for Strawberry for this last weekend but here is another aspect to it.  I was there from Friday afternoon until about noon on Saturday.  I was about two miles out from the marina towards the entrance to the Narrows.  I set up about 1:00 on Friday in 16 feet of water and got very little action the rest of the afternoon.  Even the fish that did come by on the finder were lookers not hookers.  I think I caught 5 fish in about 5 hours.  Not exactly hot catching.  Then just after dark at around 6:15 it was like the fish Gods flicked a switch.  Fish were everywhere and they were hungry!  I caught at least 30 (lost count) and had to stop fishing with two poles because I couldn't keep up.  It was pretty much a fish at every drop.  To top it off I caught a nice fat rainbow and a 23 inch slot buster.  I stopped fishing at around 7:45 because I was hungry and frankly tired of wrangling fish.  The bite did taper off after about 7:00 or so but was still pretty steady.  Saturday morning I was down the hole at around 7:00 AM and it was still dark.  The bite was pretty good until it started to get pretty light outside then died a slow death.  My point being that even on slow days like by all accounts this weekend was at Strawberry, the bite can be much different after dark and before light in the morning.  I am not a hard core fish all night kind of person so I can't say what the bite did or does as the night goes on but you might want to try to stay a little longer or get there a little earlier especially on slow days.  It seems to work for me.  The Ice was a good 7 inches of solid ice and I had no trouble riding my snowmobile over the lake.  There is the typical pressure ridge going from Haws Point to the SW but there was no problem crossing it and I saw no open water around it.
Correction... The pressure ridge going out from Haws Point goes to the NE not the SW.  I was turned around when I wrote that!