Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Planer Boards for Kokanee?
I want to try planer boards for Kokanee to spread my lines out and get them away from the boat, especially when the fish are not deep. Anyone want to chime in and tell me their experience with planer boards? I know some guys just hook the planer to the line and reel the whole thing in each time but I'm inclined to use the mast system so my line can detach? Anyway I would like to hear your experience with each system and the pros and cons. I'm also not planning on making homemade boards so any suggestions on the best commercial planer boards to buy and also the best clips/shower curtain rings whatever they are called would be appreciated. (I might make the shower curtain things if I can find the best clips to use.) Thanks for any information you can provide and tight lines to everyone!
I use planer boards for kokanee quite a bit.  I actually developed a system for running them.

I make my own rods so I made some short stubby planer board rods with handles, reel seats, and large tip tops.  I put a small line counter reel on them and load them with 20lb fly line backing.  I have used the offshore planer boards with a Scotty mini cannonball downrigger release off the back. 

I tie the planer to the short stubby planer board rod so I can bring the planer in and out independent of my main line.  When I'm fishing, I'll let out 50-100 feet of mainline tied to my kokanee rod and then clip the downrigger release from the planer board on to the mainline.  Then I let both of them out and make the planer board take all the tension while letting out.  Once it gets out 60-70 feet, I put the planer board reel in gear and put it in a rod holder.  Then I put the main line in a rod holder and tighten it down to just the point before the planer board starts to duck walk.  The release comes up out of the water or to the side of the planer board when the tension is right. 

Then when a fish hits, I pop the main line free of the release and fight this fish in without the planer board.  Once the fish is in, I get reset by reeling in the planer board.  It's a great system, especially early in the year when the fish are shallow.  It's got all the benefits of the mast system without having a permanent mast installed on the boat. 

Using the planer board inline is a recipe for losing a lot of fish when you stop to unclip the planer board from the main line.  Everyone intuitively knows that stopping and losing control of tension is bad.  But, many people feel that's the price to pay for fishing with a planer board.  I stopped doing it that way and catch a lot more fish now.

If you want to hang multiple lines of the planer board line, you can do that as well with a planer board rod.  You'll just need a heavier planer board with a more aggressive angle that pulls the planer more to the side of the boat than behind it.  I prefer to fish with two planer boards and other rods on the downrigger so I can cover a variety of depths at once though.
(01-13-2021, 01:42 AM)Downriggerer Wrote: I use planer boards for kokanee quite a bit.  I actually developed a system for running them.

I make my own rods so I made some short stubby planer board rods with handles, reel seats, and large tip tops.  I put a small line counter reel on them and load them with 20lb fly line backing.  I have used the offshore planer boards with a Scotty mini cannonball downrigger release off the back. 

I tie the planer to the short stubby planer board rod so I can bring the planer in and out independent of my main line.  When I'm fishing, I'll let out 50-100 feet of mainline tied to my kokanee rod and then clip the downrigger release from the planer board on to the mainline.  Then I let both of them out and make the planer board take all the tension while letting out.  Once it gets out 60-70 feet, I put the planer board reel in gear and put it in a rod holder.  Then I put the main line in a rod holder and tighten it down to just the point before the planer board starts to duck walk.  The release comes up out of the water or to the side of the planer board when the tension is right. 

Then when a fish hits, I pop the main line free of the release and fight this fish in without the planer board.  Once the fish is in, I get reset by reeling in the planer board.  It's a great system, especially early in the year when the fish are shallow.  It's got all the benefits of the mast system without having a permanent mast installed on the boat. 

Using the planer board inline is a recipe for losing a lot of fish when you stop to unclip the planer board from the main line.  Everyone intuitively knows that stopping and losing control of tension is bad.  But, many people feel that's the price to pay for fishing with a planer board.  I stopped doing it that way and catch a lot more fish now.

If you want to hang multiple lines of the planer board line, you can do that as well with a planer board rod.  You'll just need a heavier planer board with a more aggressive angle that pulls the planer more to the side of the boat than behind it.  I prefer to fish with two planer boards and other rods on the downrigger so I can cover a variety of depths at once though.

Thanks for the information. Very helpful. Have you ever used the shower curtain clips so you don't have to real in the planer board every time?
(01-13-2021, 02:27 AM)FishfulThinkin Wrote: Thanks for the information. Very helpful. Have you ever used the shower curtain clips so you don't have to real in the planer board every time?

No, I haven't done that because I'd need to have a new release for each shower curtain clip.  

Reeling it in really only takes 10 seconds.  60 feet comes in quick.
I use the shower clip releases with my otter boards, Amazon, fish USA, cabelas sell them just do a search for side planner releases, they make a heavy release for off shore and a light release that works well for the lakes ( I have the ones with the Scotty pinch clips). The other item that comes in handy is the clip on weight clips that you can use to get down if that is something you desire also