Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for info on targetting winter Kokanee at Strawberry
I'm looking to target Kokanee through the ice at Strawberry. Does anyone have any experience with targeting them this time of the year? I'm planning on taking a snowmobile, so getting around isn't difficult, but besides that I don't know the areas they would be or what lures might work best. Any info would be appreciated.
Following
Every time I have gone to strawberry, I get skunked.  Even when I go with those who know the lake well, everyone in the party gets skunked.  I'm probably just bad luck.  Not the right juju in my blood to fish that place.  I suppose trying to target kokanee in the winter might change my fortunes...  Haha!
~ A bad day fishing is better than a good day in the office ~
I tried it, I caught a sucker felt defeated and went home
KSL Outdoors did a show on it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR50h0PhgP8
Be prepared to do a lot more fishing than catching. You can catch a few of them anywhere out in the deep water of Strawberry Bay. You need to actively jig and quickly drop or raise to any marks that look promising. An attractor above your jig would be helpful.
(01-13-2021, 07:19 PM)Ramen4Breakfast Wrote: I'm looking to target Kokanee through the ice at Strawberry. Does anyone have any experience with targeting them this time of the year? I'm planning on taking a snowmobile, so getting around isn't difficult, but besides that I don't know the areas they would be or what lures might work best. Any info would be appreciated.
 I am no expert at all and have minimal experience, but have a pulled a few through the ice.  I caught them about a mile straight east of the marina. We were fishing 90 FOW and fish came through about 30' deep. I have been back to that area since and got skunked. No fish in 20 minutes move to a new spot.

I used a small ratfinkee tipped with a pink spike about 12" below a 4" flasher. Lots of jigging the flasher trying to get the Kokanees attention.  A fish finder is key for knowing what depth they are cruising at.

There are lots of great videos on YouTube showing techniques. One guy up in Idaho has a bucket full of poles, when he catches a fish he will toss pole and fish to the side and grab a new pole to save time on getting back down while the fish are there.  KSL outdoors also has some videos of ice fishing for Kokanee on Strawberry.
(01-13-2021, 07:19 PM)Ramen4Breakfast Wrote: I'm looking to target Kokanee through the ice at Strawberry. Does anyone have any experience with targeting them this time of the year? I'm planning on taking a snowmobile, so getting around isn't difficult, but besides that I don't know the areas they would be or what lures might work best. Any info would be appreciated.
KSL and strawberry bay marina are doing a thing up there this Friday and have invited others to go! Call the marina if your interested! I wanted to go but will be out of town this weekend!
I applaud anyone going to Strawberry to try for Winter Kokes...I'd like to be going on ObiFish"s invite, but probably can't do it this year...I caught one 4 or 5 years ago thru the ice near Haws Pt. by accident, and yup, you just can't beat an 'ice cold Koke'! Remember, this past Spring and Summer was pretty hard on the Koke fishery, so they could be even harder to find now...and if you are successful, celebrate one of the finest fish we have here in Utah...Guluk...
Thanks for the info everyone. I suspect that it will be difficult to find and catch Kokanee this time of year, but sometimes the challenge is part of the fun. I'll plan on using a flashy presentation, actively jigging and relocating if necessary. I'll post an update if I have any luck and share what I learn. Thanks again to everyone who took time to reply!