Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flatfish and dodger
Can you fish a flatfish behind a flasher or dodger? If so has any one had success doing so.
I have fished a flatfish behind a bottom bouncer with success on walleye, but don't tell anybody because it's a secret.
(01-14-2021, 07:12 PM)Jonesy84404 Wrote: Can you fish a flatfish behind a flasher or dodger? If so has any one had success doing so.
Yes you can, I've done it. Does it catch fish? Depends. I tried it last summer at the Berry for Kokanee. I put a small bright orange flatfish behind a dodger and trolled it for several hours. I didn't even get a bite that I could detect so I switched that pole back to baited squid which was more productive, at least that day it was. However when targeting trout I have had great success with flatfish for many years but I seem to do well with just the flatfish at the correct depth and speed and have never felt the need to add the dodger. I may have not had the correct leader length or speed or whatever but I didn't catch any Kokanee the day I tried it. I have caught plenty of kokanee over the years on lures including flatfish and triple teaser etc. without the dodger but I have never found the right formula to catch kokanee with the dodger and lure.
Dodgers will counter the movement of a flatfish unless you have a long leader. But, with a long enough leader, it works well. Fishing a flatfish behind POP Gear work well also.
Yes, I do it routinely at Bear Lake and Flaming Gorge. I lengthen the leader between the dodger and lure to about 5 feet in length. I use a small flatfish about 2" long at most. It works! End of story.