Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Lake Ice Fishing
Fished Fish Lake Saturday 16 Jan 2021 with some friends. Very windy from 7am until 9am? Then the wind died down and it turned into a nice day to be on the ice. There where a lot of other people enjoying the Lake as well. We stared in 80-100 feet trying to find Macs with no takers so we moved into 40-50 feet. We all caught lots of fish which where all returned to the cold water. I was using jigs tipped with sucker meat. My
big fish of the day was this brown trout. [Image: 894.jpg]
Congratulations Rob, beautiful fish. How long was it and did you get a weight?
Thanks for the report and most importantly the pic.

That is one fine looking brown.
Nice one! I've tried for browns through the ice, was it 40' on the bottom? I usually try 15fow or less and so far no luck.
(01-17-2021, 09:43 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Congratulations Rob, beautiful fish.  How long was it and did you get a weight?
Thanks Kent...didn't measure or weigh...

(01-17-2021, 11:20 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: Nice one! I've tried for browns through the ice, was it 40' on the bottom? I usually try 15fow or less and so far no luck.
Thanks...he was right on the bottom at 40'. Caught lots of Splake and then him all on the bottom. Jigged a little and sometimes they grabbed it when it was off the bottom and sometimes they took it off the bottom. The ice was 10" to 12" thick.
Nice fish and thanks for the report. I'd really like to make it up there this year.
I'll take a wild guess of 23 inches. I don't have any experience catching fish that big so I wonder if anyone else wants to hazard a guess. Rob, did you catch any splake?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(01-18-2021, 04:51 AM)catchinon Wrote: I'll take a wild guess of 23 inches. I don't have any experience catching fish that big so I wonder if anyone else wants to hazard a guess. Rob, did you catch any splake?
Yes...there was 4 of us and each caught between 14 and 20 splake.
Beautiful brown! How big are the splake? And how's the parking situation? I'm guessing with the lack of snow it's better than in years past.( The parking.)
(01-19-2021, 07:22 PM)Saltslam Wrote: Beautiful brown! How big are the splake? And how's the parking situation? I'm guessing with the lack of snow it's better than in years past.( The parking.)
Parking at Joe Bush was good...as you say the lack of snow has helped. There was a lot of people enjoying the beauty of nature at Fish Lake. I would say there where 20 vehicles at Joe Bush. Here is a picture of Larry with the biggest splake we caught.[Image: 896.jpg]
How do you tell the difference in a splake and a puppy laker
Thanks for the report. I had no idea there was BT in there..
(01-20-2021, 02:00 AM)Fritzfishin Wrote: How do you tell the difference in a splake and a puppy laker
Easiest way is to look at the tail.  Lakers have a deep fork, clear to the body.  Splake are a mid-fork, only forks down about half the way to the body.  Brookies have no fork at all.
splake vs. lake trout: They can be extremely tricky in certain waters.

Tail: lake trout have a deep forked tail vs. splake with moderate forked tail
spotting: lake trout have irregular shaped spots vs. splake with round spots

In both pictures below, the lake trout is the top fish.
[Image: 4x3Vckc.jpg]

[Image: 191aafU.jpg]
Very nice brown!
That's a beautiful splake also. There are few fish I enjoy dining on as much as a splake. They are also very fun to catch!
Nice fish!