Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview advice/recommendations
I am taking several first time ice fishers and their young children to Pineview tomorrow.  Wondering if anyone is willing to share what depth they have found the perch biting best in and if there is a time of day that they had the best bite.  I have fished from 20-40 FOW and have done OK but not really good.  Seemed like I got the most hits around 10-11 and then it died off.  What is your advice?

Thanks
(01-17-2021, 11:39 PM)icerman Wrote: I am taking several first time ice fishers and their young children to Pineview tomorrow.  Wondering if anyone is willing to share what depth they have found the perch biting best in and if there is a time of day that they had the best bite.  I have fished from 20-40 FOW and have done OK but not really good.  Seemed like I got the most hits around 10-11 and then it died off.  What is your advice?

Thanks
I got there Saturday around 4pm, punched a hole in about 40' of water a little south of the Port Ramp. I dropped my Gizzy bug on an 8" dropper under a 1/4oz Kastmaster with the split rings and hook removed, tipped with perch eyeball after I caught my first one with meal worm I bounced it of the bottom a few times until I saw the perch come in on my fish finder then dead stick with it in my hand 6"-1' off the bottom. they bit fairly aggressively and where easy to hook. Once the sun went down there was a shift change the perch disappeared and the Crappie came out blanketing my screen from the bottom up to about 25', They where much harder to hook, an extreamly light bite. The fish I did hook came from the top of the school. As far as time of day I feel like during daylight hours I could find and catch perch and after dark the same for crappie, that being said early morning and  evening tend to be good times to fish.

Attached Files Image(s)

Thank you for the info, it is much appreciated!
Might be a good day for you tomorrow. Both perch and crappie were on the chew today. Many different colors worked- glow, green, pink, white, yellow, didn’t seem to matter much. I tipped with mealworms. They were flying high and being aggressive. You don’t need to go too far from the Port Ramp, just try to find water deeper than 25’. Anything from 28’- 45’ netted similar results. Start at the bottom for perch, the small ones will bite practically anything. For crappie, start 3-4 ft off bottom and jig a bit to get their attention, then slowly raise to make them chase it. The aggressive ones follow and give you a noticeable bite to detect instead of the subtle hits you get when you let them sit and examine your offering. Rinse and repeat. Good luck

Anything of decent size in that pile Obifish?
Thank you!
Getting ready to head out! Have (2) 4 yr olds, (1) 8 yr old, and their parents, first time for all of them. I sure hope to get them hooked on fishing...nothing better than catching! I appreciate the advice given!
(01-18-2021, 04:29 AM)EyLayo Wrote: Might be a good day for you tomorrow. Both perch and crappie were on the chew today. Many different colors worked- glow, green, pink, white, yellow, didn’t seem to matter much. I tipped with mealworms. They were flying high and being aggressive. You don’t need to go too far from the Port Ramp, just try to find water deeper than 25’. Anything from 28’- 45’ netted similar results. Start at the bottom for perch, the small ones will bite practically anything. For crappie, start 3-4 ft off bottom and jig a bit to get their attention, then slowly raise to make them chase it. The aggressive ones follow and give you a noticeable bite to detect instead of the subtle hits you get when you let them sit and examine your offering. Rinse and repeat. Good luck

Anything of decent size in that pile Obifish?
Nothing over 8"