Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 1/16 S&M 1/17
Went hunting for Kokes this past weekend. Got a lot of advice from everyone here which was appreciated. I ended up heading from the Ladders side of Strawberry at 6am, out towards the trolling triangle. Founds a deep spot ~90 FOW and marked a few fish. I was using a dodger with a ratfinkee tipped with mealworm, but that didn't seem to interest the fish much. Most of the fish was marked was in the 10-30 feet down and adjusted my depth to match. They ended up being Cutties and Rainbows. I punched a few other exploratory holes but unfortunately wasn't able to find the kokanee.

The next day, a friend of mine wanted to go and try S&M during the evening. Got there around 3 and fished until 7pm. Took a snowmobile out there but stayed close to the dam. There is a layer of slush on the far side and I didn't want the snowmobile to get stuck. There were a few spots that look like open water, but I think it was just the slush layer peeking through. Scared the bajeebus out of us when we rode by the open water holes. Terrifying. We ended up on the opposite side of the boatramp. Fished in 20 FOW, but it was fairly slow. Ended up catching a couple of small rainbows and cutties. Right before we left, we did end up getting a single small kokanee that was put back. He was caught off the bottom and I wasn't marking any schools, but they seem to like smaller glowing teardrops. There's a lot of snow on the ice, so it is pretty dark down there. 

All in all, I had a fun weekend. Best of luck to everyone!
Just to confirm, the "open water holes" were just slush. Right?
Yeah they had to be, no way thin ice could handle a snowmobile on it. Plus the holes we punched were 16+ inches thick.