Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Rockport Trout Tournament
Was absolutely stoked to take 1st place in the rockport tournament today only to be disqualified on a technicality. Apparently you have to have the monster trout to turn in for measurement it doesn’t actually count if it’s pulling your brand new fishing pole around at the bottom of the lake! Anywho, I took my 4 seat razor for the trip and made it onto the ice just fine despite the weight had no issues and had no need to call Jake from State Farm as I kept the thing above ice which is always a blessing! Fishing was rather slow for my buddy and I we arrived at 5am along with 100 other folks in the dark, one fisherman was so excited for the tourney he missed the hard right turn going into the park and ended up in the river! Hope he got towed out and was still able to get some fishing in. We fished in 25 FOW to 35 FOW catching about 15 perch between the 2 of us but while I was away from my pole a monster probably 30-77 inches or so ripped my pole into the abyss and was never seen again. When I got back to my hole I was scratching my head a bit as I was mostly certain there was a fishing pole there when I left. I put another in its place and pretty soon I was pulling in a healthy 18” rainbow! I cruised him over to the weigh in tent only barely missing 1st place by 4 3/4 inches! Overall we had a great time in the contest and the fish came home for dinner. Cajun perch tacos and lemon pepper trout! [Image: 388-A791-D-927-A-4-F19-A121-923-D54-BDE6-E8.jpg]

[Image: 6-C575-CA7-F436-4-D6-B-9-F1-D-3-FAE96576-E02.jpg]

[Image: C8880-DFA-F6-FC-4-F9-F-9-E32-C0-E8498-D950-D.jpg]
Too bad about your pole! I think we can all relate. My buddy spent several weeks and many hours hand wrapping guides on a new blank and created the perfect handcrafted pole. On the maiden voyage he was trolling with it at the Berry and looked away for a second only to hear a splash and notice that his new pride and joy had disappeared never to be seen again. (Clearly it was also being towed around the lake by another 77 incher.) He got 10 minutes of fishing out of that custom job.
Congrats on almost catching the winning fish Wink, better luck next time.
I finally figured out how to get the pic off my new phone that shows the bad spot on the left side of the ramp, where it looks like someone went through.
[Image: Rockport-Jan2021.jpg]
Thanks for sharing. i seem to lose one pole through the ice every year. You would think I would learn. I just consider it my tribute to the ice gods.
Buy an IceNeasy rod and never lose another pole, plus these poles have an included stand built in.
I used to mock them, now I love them.
Them dang 77"ers are brutal on your tackle Wink
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(01-24-2021, 04:02 AM)T-Boz Wrote: Was absolutely stoked to take 1st place in the rockport tournament today only to be disqualified on a technicality. Apparently you have to have the monster trout to turn in for measurement it doesn’t actually count if it’s pulling your brand new fishing pole around at the bottom of the lake! Anywho, I took my 4 seat razor for the trip and made it onto the ice just fine despite the weight had no issues and had no need to call Jake from State Farm as I kept the thing above ice which is always a blessing! Fishing was rather slow for my buddy and I we arrived at 5am along with 100 other folks in the dark, one fisherman was so excited for the tourney he missed the hard right turn going into the park and ended up in the river! Hope he got towed out and was still able to get some fishing in. We fished in 25 FOW to 35 FOW catching about 15 perch between the 2 of us but while I was away from my pole a monster probably 30-77 inches or so ripped my pole into the abyss and was never seen again. When I got back to my hole I was scratching my head a bit as I was mostly certain there was a fishing pole there when I left. I put another in its place and pretty soon I was pulling in a healthy 18” rainbow! I cruised him over to the weigh in tent only barely missing 1st place by 4 3/4 inches! Overall we had a great time in the contest and the fish came home for dinner. Cajun perch tacos and lemon pepper trout! 
Two weeks ago I had the same thing happen at Strawberry. I walked 30 feet away to drill a new hole, came back and my rod and holder were both gone. I was sick it was brand new tickle stick and freefall ghost.  After 15 minutes of bouncing a tube jig on the bottom I felt the hook set in something.[Image: 20210117-115350.jpg]
Wow that is one hell of a catch there congrats!
(01-24-2021, 04:02 AM)T-Boz Wrote: Was absolutely stoked to take 1st place in the rockport tournament today only to be disqualified on a technicality. Apparently you have to have the monster trout to turn in for measurement it doesn’t actually count if it’s pulling your brand new fishing pole around at the bottom of the lake! Anywho, I took my 4 seat razor for the trip and made it onto the ice just fine despite the weight had no issues and had no need to call Jake from State Farm as I kept the thing above ice which is always a blessing! Fishing was rather slow for my buddy and I we arrived at 5am along with 100 other folks in the dark, one fisherman was so excited for the tourney he missed the hard right turn going into the park and ended up in the river! Hope he got towed out and was still able to get some fishing in. We fished in 25 FOW to 35 FOW catching about 15 perch between the 2 of us but while I was away from my pole a monster probably 30-77 inches or so ripped my pole into the abyss and was never seen again. When I got back to my hole I was scratching my head a bit as I was mostly certain there was a fishing pole there when I left. I put another in its place and pretty soon I was pulling in a healthy 18” rainbow! I cruised him over to the weigh in tent only barely missing 1st place by 4 3/4 inches! Overall we had a great time in the contest and the fish came home for dinner. Cajun perch tacos and lemon pepper trout! 

I had a pole taken through the hole by a big one last year at Rockport.  A few hours later, the kid near me hooked my line and pulled both the fish and the pole back out through the hole!  Backyard Boy T.V. caught the whole thing on video and posted it on youtube.  The fish was a big, pretty 21" 'bow.  My dad almost lost his pole a couple weeks later.  Those fish in Rockport, although lethargic, can be aggressive buggars!  I've made some tethers with carabiners and cord that I now always hook to my poles and my buckets or chairs.  Hopefully it will prevent such thievery in the future.  Sounded like a good time regardless.
~ A bad day fishing is better than a good day in the office ~
I donated one at panguitch this year. Happened so fast it was unbelievable.
(01-25-2021, 10:53 PM)Bertrum13 Wrote:

I had a pole taken through the hole by a big one last year at Rockport.  A few hours later, the kid near me hooked my line and pulled both the fish and the pole back out through the hole!  Backyard Boy T.V. caught the whole thing on video and posted it on youtube.  The fish was a big, pretty 21" 'bow.  My dad almost lost his pole a couple weeks later.  Those fish in Rockport, although lethargic, can be aggressive buggars!  I've made some tethers with carabiners and cord that I now always hook to my poles and my buckets or chairs.  Hopefully it will prevent such thievery in the future.  Sounded like a good time regardless.
I believe I read about this story last year that is some awesome luck!! With 700 other fishermen on the lake that day I was hoping for that but no such luck! I will be tethering my poles from now on for sure! It was my first ice tournament and it was a blast!!