Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flaming Gorge ice forecast
It appears that the ice is breaking up in parts of the Gorge. We have been planning to go for some time and now plan to be there on the 19th. Does anybody have up-to-date info about what's happening in various parts of the lake? Anyone have enough experience to take a look at the weather forecast and make an intelligent guess how things will likely be 10 days from now? Which sites last the longest? Would Firehole be the last to lose safe ice? Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I would recommend staying above confluence point (road 11), check that ice good while heading out for sure. Up at Firehole you would be even better. I just posted a report of our trip this last weekend and the wind was not good to that ice.
The ice has definitely taken a beating the last several days with warm temps and high winds. As of February 9th, the ice ends down below Brinegar Ferry Crossing, but there's open water pockets in the main channel from there up to Buckboard. With this weekends forecast (calmer and colder) it will probably lock up some of those areas but it will be thin. Stay away from pressure ridges and check ice thickness if you're traveling across the lake. The ice north of Buckboard looked better from some high locations where I could see a long ways. We fished between Currant Creek and the Confluence and it was a minimum of 10-inches of clear ice where we augered. The further uplake you go, the better the ice should be, but still take precautions because it's been "springlike" conditions the last week.

Good luck, Ryno