Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Cat Chat 2021
Congrats Justin, I had been saving Cabelas points for years and was going to get a bow mount trolling motor, but a winter of hearing about 360 mega imaging persuaded me into blowing my points on a new finder and I'll get the 360 stuff as I can afford to add it to the system... Just hope they don't discontinue it before I can afford it... Anyway best of luck with your new system, I'm happy for you...

BTW I did get some soft water cats last night... In fact they bit pretty well... Got 3 fish hits in a little over an hour... best one landed was 27", but I lost the big one being too excited and tried to horse him in and it had other ideas and pulled the hook out during the fight, but it was really a strong fish, I fought it for 15 seconds or so, and a good run peeling off line before I lost it.. Was a little more giving on the next fish and let it take the runs without trying to force it back in... It worked much better, but I don't think it was as big of fish and it was right around 27" with wide shoulders... Wish I could have seen the first one... Next fish was 23-24" and really pretty...The fun is on the way get ready 20 days till contest time... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Thanks I'm not getting anything to fancy right now as I'm not chasing Lakers or kokanee just yet the trolling motor will be a stand alone unit from the fish finder I didn't pay for the extra
What model did you get? I wanted the Terrova, thought the spot lock would be great. Someday I’ll afford one. Have fun with it. Jeff
I got the Fortrex 80 lb 24 v. I got it for 1/3 of the cost of a new one so I'm not complaining. And I'll get the key fob remote to make my life easier. I'm just not getting spot lock. I got a Lowrance hook 2 7" fish finder which they don't communicate with Minn Kota I guess very well without additional wiring that is pricey. The fish finder was a gift from my wife for my birthday and I think it will be fine for Utah lake. I don't get to many places.
Sounds like a good set up... I've seen some more affordable Fortrex motors for sale, I didn't know they had fob's to control them, I thought you had to use the footplate... That motor is getting a lot more interesting to get me by until I can get a Terrova with the linked capability... I wasn't going to get the link until I got the new finder, now I'm changing my mind since the new ff will give me that capability... I'd love to be able to set the boat direction and then not have to worry about steering so I could fish... Seems like I'm constantly having to course correct after each time I try to rig a pole or pull a fish in... whenever I look away the boat wants to turn circles or head at the nearest boat... Guess the self steering won't help that part of hitting other boats, but at least you can expect when you might get close... Thanks for the details I'm learning a lot from you... best of luck on the new boat and set up... Jeff
Got the news I didn't necessarily want today. I saw my neurosurgeon because I've had terrible back and leg pain again. Only fix is surgery, I have a ligament growing in my spinal cord. The slap in the face...surgery date is March 15th...so we'll see how fast I recover lol....going to take boat out before hopefully and see if any early biters
Sorry to hear that Justin. I'm looking forward to fishing with you when you are ready. I just have to get past the ice fishing challenge then I can get serious about the catfish.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Justin,  sorry to hear about the medical issue.  
Take it easy and do what the doctor says. Health is more important than Catfish Contest (although I know it will be tough). 
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(02-24-2021, 11:42 PM)Mooseman75 Wrote: Got the news I didn't necessarily want today. I saw my neurosurgeon because I've had terrible back and leg pain again. Only fix is surgery, I have a ligament growing in my spinal cord. The slap in the face...surgery date is March 15th...so we'll see how fast I recover lol....going to take boat out before hopefully and see if any early biters
Hey Justin, sorry to hear that for you....sure hope all goes well, and I'll bet if you want to go before we can get a special provision to let those count since you won't be able to go for a while after the starting date...  However, the early cats never seem to be too active for putting up big numbers, so you probably won't miss too much, other than the fun of getting out... Best of luck... Jeff
Thanks it sucks to say the least. But it's better than losing my balance in the boat and falling overboard. I'm hoping they get my boat done before I go in so I can 1 fish and 2 try out the trolling motor. I don't want another year like last year where I didn't hardly catch any fish and I think 2 of my kids beat me, can't have that lol
(02-24-2021, 11:42 PM)Mooseman75 Wrote: Got the news I didn't necessarily want today. I saw my neurosurgeon because I've had terrible back and leg pain again. Only fix is surgery, I have a ligament growing in my spinal cord. The slap in the face...surgery date is March 15th...so we'll see how fast I recover lol....going to take boat out before hopefully and see if any early biters
Hi Justin,

Glad to hear you got your motor and finder all set up. I know it is hard looking at surgery right at the start, but I just thought I would send some encouragement your way. My triple cervical spine fusion happened on Mar 13 last year. Didn't get on the water until almost the end of April and Julie and I both ended up topping my best score ever.  I just looked at my records and the total cat count from April 25 to Oct 24 was over 500 with 9 fish 30 inches or more between us. You can have a great year even with the surgery!

The early part is fun, but the numbers are usually low. Their are some big fish caught then, and I like the March first start, but there are also a good number of 1 or two fish trips. I hope your surgery works out as well as mine did last year.
(02-27-2021, 03:04 PM)Piscophilic Wrote:
Hi Justin,

Glad to hear you got your motor and finder all set up. I know it is hard looking at surgery right at the start, but I just thought I would send some encouragement your way. My triple cervical spine fusion happened on Mar 13 last year. Didn't get on the water until almost the end of April and Julie and I both ended up topping my best score ever.  I just looked at my records and the total cat count from April 25 to Oct 24 was over 500 with 9 fish 30 inches or more between us. You can have a great year even with the surgery!

The early part is fun, but the numbers are usually low. Their are some big fish caught then, and I like the March first start, but there are also a good number of 1 or two fish trips. I hope your surgery works out as well as mine did last year.
Thanks Jim I hope I get out as soon as the end of April but I'm looking at 3 months Sad but I'll do what they say and build up strong and push my self maybe just maybe I can make it sooner. I'm one that follows advice and watches things close the 24 surgeries could have been more lol
Wow Justin, you've had 24 surgeries, dude I'm sorry that doesn't sound fun at all.. Like Jim says best of luck on this one... Be glad to see you when you can... Most of the really big fish didn't show up until later in the season anyway... Good luck.... Looks like our attempt to do a March 1st start was voted down about 2 to 1 so we'll start on the 15th, but if you get some before then I know a guy that will allow an operation exemption for you... Best of luck with the new motor and surgery... Later Jeff
That works. This week is supposed to be beautiful all week. I'm hoping they get my boat done. They are waiting on a part that is part of the quick release bracket assembly to the boat. I hope it's not coming out of Texas. I have other things being shipped from there that are still not here after 2 weeks. Anyway, I'm getting antsy to get out on the boat. I would love to say it's eating away at me but I'm not getting any smaller lol....
As things keep getting warmer, I expect the cats will get a little more active and able to find our baits a little better... When it's cold I don't think they move as much, but with some sunshine I think they start to roam around a little more... Hope I can try something tonight after work... I used carp minnows last time and didn't get a strike, so maybe I need to down size my bait again... My early fish were on size 4 hooks with just a little cut bait, think I need to go back to the small presentation for this time of year... Later Jeff
Haha thanks for the reminder on dialing it back. I just got some 8/0 and 6/0 triple threat hooks from whisker seeker. I have to remember to use my little guy hooks (just what I call them I know big fish will bite as well). I just forgot all about toning it back in the cold. I'm so antsy I was just jumping in with big bait. I talked with boat shop. They wanted to know where I wanted them to punch holes in everything to mount the plug for the trolling motor, the mount for fish finder the plug for 3 bank charger etc. He said it will be done Thursday early which they don't get there until 10 so early in guessing it's 12 or so.

[Image: 878919-C7-807-B-4132-80-FF-C777-ED8-BBBC1.webp]
Wow that sounds fun!!! Hope it will be just what you wanted when you get it back... I've been thinking it's time to do a few spring mods to mine so it's ready to go... Seems like I like to put stuff off during the fishing season and just go fishing... Wish I could find a good 45-75 Hp motor that I could put on my boat and afford... I really like my boat, but I need some reliable power and would be nice to get power trim/lift and electric start, seems I'm not getting any younger... I keep watching KSL and hopefully sometime this year one will show up... My 9.9 hp motor is a little slow for covering much distance... Post a picture of your boat when you get it back and happy boat update day... Later Jeff
I've been thinking about whether we should try for a flotilla or a get-together in November. What's everybody thinking? Or more specifically, what do think Jeff?  Huh
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

New motor sounds fun. I have a force motor so if anything major happens I'll be getting a new one myself. I went out and put rod holders on it this morning so I'm just about all set. My neighbor is welding the bracket that holds the bunk board guide on. I took a few pictures but they don't do it justice
[Image: BDA1-BF2-D-905-C-4-A24-ACA0-E3-CF93-BE9-D35.jpg]

[Image: DB6-A3-A6-C-3-FE7-49-F4-9674-6-EC60732-D0-F3.jpg]

[Image: AC8-BF69-C-133-F-489-F-8903-D42-EAFD398-B4.jpg]

[Image: B6-D652-BC-BE72-4-CD3-BF5-C-098-A0-E6-A4-EE9.jpg]
(03-05-2021, 03:05 PM)catchinon Wrote: I've been thinking about whether we should try for a flotilla or a get-together in November. What's everybody thinking? Or more specifically, what do think Jeff?  Huh
That's a good question, I've heard rumor of things starting to open back up in May and a flotilla can actually maintain a safe distance anyway, but the high numbers of folks in the outdoors lately make me wonder if we might have an issue getting a location like we have had in the past...  What are everyone else thinking?  Is there an interest in getting together?  What about locations, where would we like to have it?  Let's start to get some feelers to see if we can get a gage of interest and we may have to modify the format to a new type get together, that may spread us out a little more, but I think it would be nice to circle the wagons again... Thanks for bringing up the discussion... Later Jeff

(03-06-2021, 08:41 PM)Mooseman75 Wrote: New motor sounds fun. I have a force motor so if anything major happens I'll be getting a new one myself. I went out and put rod holders on it this morning so I'm just about all set.  My neighbor is welding the bracket that holds the bunk board guide on. I took a few pictures but they don't do it justice
[Image: BDA1-BF2-D-905-C-4-A24-ACA0-E3-CF93-BE9-D35.jpg]

[Image: DB6-A3-A6-C-3-FE7-49-F4-9674-6-EC60732-D0-F3.jpg]

[Image: AC8-BF69-C-133-F-489-F-8903-D42-EAFD398-B4.jpg]

[Image: B6-D652-BC-BE72-4-CD3-BF5-C-098-A0-E6-A4-EE9.jpg]
Hey Justin that looks really nice... Congrats and hope it will treat you well... Are you sure you want to get that into catfishing, you know how muddy and slimy those cats can be... But you got to use them to have any fun with them... Good luck.... Jeff