Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rockport 02/23
Hit Rockport for a quick solo trip before work.

Found perch in 30 fow and was steady fishing until 1000. Ended up catching around 20 w/ a bunch of 9-10" and two at 11". There were also plenty of little dinky ones.

I was surprised that at even 30' some fish had their stomachs popping out their mouth. I wasn't expecting that at a depth I wouldn't consider that deep. I'm not a perch or panfish expert, so maybe this is a normal thing to happen.

Started with a green spoon and dropper chain/octopus hook w/ spike. Then switched to 13 fishing paralyzer w/ perch eye.

Edges were good and 12" ice with 2" hard snow. It was also one of the coldest mornings and breezy. Dang near left the tent at home to save weight. it would have been miserable without it.
"I was surprised that at even 30' some fish had their stomachs popping out their mouth. I wasn't expecting that at a depth I wouldn't consider that deep."

I've had that happen at that depth, but not every time, so I share your puzzlement.

I'm also not a panfish expert, but I have a hypothesis. My guess is that as the gravid females' eggs develop, they really crowd the abdominal cavity, and then that crowds the swim bladder.