Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Saratoga Springs?
Hello all, 
I will be doing some military-related stuff down near Utah Lake this Saturday the 6th, and I was like hey, I've never fished UL before, and now I have some time to. With the warmer weather down there, is there a chance I could tangle into some white bass and possibly catfish/ carp? Would anybody want to meet up and see what we can do?
(03-03-2021, 01:00 PM)bblake98 Wrote: Hello all, 
I will be doing some military-related stuff down near Utah Lake this Saturday the 6th, and I was like hey, I've never fished UL before, and now I have some time to. With the warmer weather down there, is there a chance I could tangle into some white bass and possibly catfish/ carp? Would anybody want to meet up and see what we can do?
Fish of the dock nearest to the boat ramp. Use 1-3 inch curly tail grubs tipped with nightcrawlers. On a second rod, fish a little curly tail or a plain hook with a nightcrawler and you will catch as many perch as you can handle. Deadstick the rod w/ curly tails and you will pick up a white bass every few minutes or so.

Oh, and have fun! Thats pretty important!
Why do I like fishing so much? The same reason why you like breathing so much, It keeps me alive.
There is always a good chance of tangling with finned critters at Saratoga , even early in the year. If you can grab a spot infront of the grates, do it. Probem is its hard, even early in the year to get that spot on a Saturday at the grates. Like BBTV said the docks are fun. I also find little sunfish hiding in the rocks.

I might be headed that way and will watch for ya.but I might be in Wyoming.still waiting orders from Cookie.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
I don't live there anymore but I used to fish saratoga a lot for large mouthbass. not sure of the water conditions but if they are up enough try a black and blue jig with a green craw trailer, or senkos will also work. fish right in the weeds.
Thanks all! I will do my best. I'm planning on setting one line out for cats and carp, and then jigging for whatever species of bass will play.
Need to define terms here !! Saratoga Springs Marina is at the NORTH end of the lake and is off limits to everyone except people who live in that north part of Saratoga Springs. PELICAN BAY Marina is further south off Redwood Rd. It was built to replace the public access lost at Saratoga Springs Marina when the north end of the lake was developed. I find it interesting that at Pelican Bay Marina you have to PAY to get in, even though it replaced a FREE access marina at Saratoga Springs. Love the Government.
(03-04-2021, 06:12 PM)Therapist Wrote: I was thinking the one below the el nautica boat club or whatever it is.
Yeah, bro. It's one of my favorite places, but this time of year is unpredictable. Usually somethin' going on, though.

What BBTV said about the perch is something I've never experienced myself, for instance, so I'll have to try it. The perch even being there was new to me the past few years. The flats to the south of that marina used to be loaded with bluegills, warming up in the shallows from about now until June. Any cover, even tumbleweeds blown in to a corner, within in the Marina as the water warms can hold bluegills, crappies, bass, and now perch, I guess.

Cast all around for white bass with jigs and spinners, etc. Might as well plunk a worm o the bottom. Sometimes the bullheads want it, but if the WB are a little sluggish, they pick it up, too. Some big catfish come out during early spring, but the action usually isn't fast for me until it warms a little.

I've never caught much in front of the grates, since they built them, so I dunno.....one nice cat, I guess.

If I have nothin' going on after a while, I will wade out from the point (to the south) a couple hundred yards, sometimes even 300, and heave a chunk of carp or WB as far out as I can on a big slip sinker, wade back to shore, and wait. Eventually a 2-6 lb catfish will take it.
Therapist Wrote:Need to define terms here !! Saratoga Springs Marina is at the NORTH end of the lake and is off limits to everyone except people who live in that north part of Saratoga Springs.  PELICAN BAY Marina is further south off Redwood Rd.  It was built to replace the public access lost at Saratoga Springs Marina when the north end of the lake was developed.  I find it interesting that at  Pelican Bay Marina you have to PAY to get in, even though it replaced a FREE access marina at Saratoga Springs.  Love the Government.
 You do not have to pay at the Pelican Bay Marina, unless you are launching a boat. Just read the fee requirements.
So I was there this weekend in my boat next to the Grates and I and my son pulled over 160 + perch between the two of us for a couple of hours.  all on a worm.  The finder was going nuts some times they were so thick it would change the depth.   and we pulled a metric ton of snagged line out of the water and on the grates.
[Image: IMG-0959.jpg]
160 perch, from what I was witnessing , that would make it about 480 inches worth of perch. Saw plenty coming in, but they were 3 inchers is about all.
(03-10-2021, 03:53 AM)ratnest Wrote: 160 perch, from what I was witnessing , that would make it about 480 inches worth of perch. Saw plenty coming in, but they were 3 inchers is about all.
Yup lots of little ones only 3 keepers i took home went through 2 dozen worms it was fun