Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cats are biting at Willard
Today, Wiperslayer and I got out for our first soft water trip to Willard this year. We were using our normal TD fligs and chub meat setup that we have been using for several years now. As soon as we got out of the North marina we started picking up some nice cats. We caught 5 then decided to go for a look see, of what else was going on, hoping to find some willing perch but it appears the perch are already spawning. After spending several hours searching and talking we went back to an area where we did good last year but no luck. We moved over to another location, we picked up number 6 there but we finally decided to fish the channel again, where we started off the morning. We picked up a double and that was it for the day. Water temp was a little lower than 42 when we arrived and warmed up to 44 before we left a little after 1pm.
[Image: 005.jpg]
[Image: 002.jpg]

[Image: 003.jpg]

[Image: 004.jpg]
That sounds like a great day.
Looks like you picked a good day...weatherwise.  Glad you got some tugs.  Any colors work better than others?

I'm codgertatin' about hitting the south marina Sunday.  Got some new goodies to try and made a successful minnow run yesterday.  Kept some out of the freezer to introduce to Willard denizens.
[Image: MIXED-BAG.jpg]
(03-06-2021, 12:48 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Looks like you picked a good day...weatherwise.  Glad you got some tugs.  Any colors work better than others?

I'm codgertatin' about hitting the south marina Sunday.  Got some new goodies to try and made a successful minnow run yesterday.  Kept some out of the freezer to introduce to Willard denizens.
I was wondering when you might be getting out there to give it a try. Blue and silver caught the most cats, straight silver got a few looks too, firetiger got no love on this trip. That looks like a good haul of minnow, they will no doubt get you some cats when you get out there. Good luck.
wiperhunter2, thanks for sending me the link to this report. I’m not sure how I missed it before. Sounds like you had a good day on the water.
(03-18-2021, 11:29 PM)BSF Wrote: wiperhunter2, thanks for sending me the link to this report. I’m not sure how I missed it before. Sounds like you had a good day on the water.
It was a decent start to my boat fishing year at Willard, just wish I could do that well for walleye this early in the year.
(03-19-2021, 01:25 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(03-18-2021, 11:29 PM)BSF Wrote: wiperhunter2, thanks for sending me the link to this report. I’m not sure how I missed it before. Sounds like you had a good day on the water.
It was a decent start to my boat fishing year at Willard, just wish I could do that well for walleye this early in the year.
Looks like a great day!  It would be awesome if the walleyes fishing was that good.  I know back east, Lake erie and such the walleye fishing is great i have always wondered why it takes a while to heat up here.