Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last ice
Hit magic reservoir on the west side this morning, nice sunny skies and warm, until the wind and rain rolled in around noon, but managed to get a few fish. Ice won't last much longer up there, pretty soft on top and edges when we came off.
[Image: KIMG0857.jpg]

[Image: KIMG0856.jpg]
(03-06-2021, 11:28 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Hit magic reservoir on the west side this morning, nice sunny skies and warm, until the wind and rain rolled in around noon, but managed to get a few fish. Ice won't last much longer up there, pretty soft on top and edges when we came off.
First off, nice mess of fish, should be awesome eating Smile.  I imagine with temps around Idaho Falls the next 10 days being in upper 40's to around 50, it is going to start making things move.  Still freezing at night but daylight is gonna keep things warming Smile.  I bet a lot of hard water lets folks put a boat on by end of month if not before.
Great, looks like you found them. How deep were you fishing and how thick was the ice?
Only 15' deep, lakes still really low, ice was 20", but getting really soft and with water on top and wind it won't last long.
Definitely my last trip for sure. Hit Ririe today for my official last ice fishing trip. Had a great day, weather and fish cooperated. Probably get another week or so up there as the ice is in great shape, just a bit soft on the edges.

[Image: KIMG0870.jpg]

[Image: KIMG0867.jpg]

[Image: KIMG0866.jpg]

[Image: KIMG0864.jpg]
Nice, are those trout or kokes? Perch look like they are decent size too.
They're kokes, I only caught one little lake trout today only trout we caught, but I see they planted 370 of them last fall, a few decent perch, had to keep all them today, too deep to release them.
(03-13-2021, 12:33 AM)meancuznalfy Wrote: They're kokes, I only caught one little lake trout today only trout we caught, but I see they planted 370 of them last fall, a few decent perch, had to keep all them today, too deep to release them.
Nice day! They used to plant splakes to control the chub and whitefish populations. It will be interesting to see how big the Macs get.
Thanks, hopefully the mac's don't get too big, could have a adverse affect on that fishery if they do.
I think it's weird, if I remember right, F&G is removing lake trout from lakes over around McCall etc because they dont want them there and were doing it without public input, but some found out about it and it made the news.  Yet, now they are putting them in here.  I dont get it.  Maybe someone can explain it to me.  Thanks
They did, all to help the kokanee fishery up there. Not sure what the intention of putting them in here is.
Just had to bump this back up top.  With the temps getting as warm as they are and when you put 40+mph winds on top of that, it takes one heck of a lot of ice off real quick.  So with that said, what's the ice at Ririe doing?  I guess, health permitting, I better get my parking permit and boat into the shop for spring servicing and ready to go.  Havent we in the past been on water around the 1st of April on Ririe? Good luck and be safe.
I'd guess some of it is starting to open up, shore was pretty soft a couple weeks ago when I was up there, with wind and temps today I'd guess even more will open up. Hope you start feeling better soon.
Thanks for the get well.  I hope this crap doesnt continue feeling they way I do, man, the after effects suck.
I'd heard that, had some family in Montana get it and that's what they said.