Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield
Hit Scofield 03/07. Weather was great (sunburned) and the ice is still 20" or so. Some areas of minor slush started to appear in the afternoon. There weren't many groups out, but a few here and there.

Fishing was good for cutthroat and a couple rainbows in 15 fow. Green/white and glow white worked the best. I've done really well with the blue glow maniac cuttrbug this year.

The fish were a lot skinnier this trip. Almost the reverse of last year where they started skinny and ended up fatter. Still 0 chubs caught.

Maybe one or two more trips before the ice gear gets hidden in the garage and we get the boat out to hit Lake Powell at the end of the month.
Thanks for the report, how long were the cutts and bows? Too bad about Maniac going out of business, hopefully you have a good stock of those blue glow cutterbugs.
(03-08-2021, 09:50 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the report, how long were the cutts and bows? Too bad about Maniac going out of business, hopefully you have a good stock of those blue glow cutterbugs.
My 6 yr old son is onto the Maniac bugs, so I'm down to maybe 1-2.....lol. Such is life and it really is too bad they are out of the market. I did "OK" switching to a different brand, but they don't have the same look- It's more commercial and not as individualized. More of a weird side fin than a grub body and you don't have a choice between a solid fin or tearing it into 2.
I did use a white grub body with bright green octopus legs with some success from- Strike King. What did much better was the white grub body with single straight green tail called the.... hold on, I've got to go read the package- "Panfish Stinger", That's what it is. My wife has done great this year using that lure.
Most fish caught were around 12-13" and maybe 8 were over the slot, but just barely. We probably caught 50 fish and kept 4 cutts and 2 rainbows at 14" which made a delicious family dinner, tonight.
I've also never caught so many fish with odd deformities. One had his entire upper jaw folded over into his mouth. Oh, I have photos.
(03-09-2021, 05:20 AM)TheOtherSide Wrote:
(03-08-2021, 09:50 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the report, how long were the cutts and bows? Too bad about Maniac going out of business, hopefully you have a good stock of those blue glow cutterbugs.
My 6 yr old son is onto the Maniac bugs, so I'm down to maybe 1-2.....lol. Such is life and it really is too bad they are out of the market. I did "OK" switching to a different brand, but they don't have the same look- It's more commercial and not as individualized. More of a weird side fin than a grub body and you don't have a choice between a solid fin or tearing it into 2.
I did use a white grub body with bright green octopus legs with some success from- Strike King. What did much better was the white grub body with single straight green tail called the.... hold on, I've got to go read the package- "Panfish Stinger", That's what it is. My wife has done great this year using that lure.
Most fish caught were around 12-13" and maybe 8 were over the slot, but just barely. We probably caught 50 fish and kept 4 cutts and 2 rainbows at 14" which made a delicious family dinner, tonight.
I've also never caught so many fish with odd deformities. One had his entire upper jaw folded over into his mouth. Oh, I have photos.

That sounds like a great trip, your a lucky man having your wife go out fishing with you. Lets see those pic especially the one with the odd upper jaw.