Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Falls
Wondering if anyone has info on the conditions at American Falls? Im assuming with the warm temps and wind that the ice should be gone. Would love to get the boat in in the near future if possible. Any info on ramp conditions by the dam would be greatly appreciated.
You'd think the ice would be gone, but it isn't. Still quite a bit at the dam and on the east end of the lake. You might be able to get in at willow bay some open water between the ice sheets around that area, but I'd call them to verify that.
(03-10-2021, 09:59 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: You'd think the ice would be gone, but it isn't. Still quite a bit at the dam and on the east end of the lake. You might be able to get in at willow bay some open water between the ice sheets around that area, but I'd call them to verify that.
Thank you very much for the info. Guess I'll find another destination this weekend. I'm not familiar with willow bay. Is it a private ramp or is it available to the public?
I'm not familiar with it either, but I believe it's open to the public, looks like the only area that's open as of this afternoon.
Sounds like it shouldn't be long for open water.

Love fishing there, just have to watch the wind.
No, some warm weather and a bit of wind would break it up fast.
Im Looking to make a run to American Falls Res next week.  Has someone has had eyes on the lake.  Hows the ice?

Thanks

Fishonsometimes

Huh
(03-10-2021, 11:07 PM)hookedlikeu Wrote:
(03-10-2021, 09:59 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: You'd think the ice would be gone, but it isn't. Still quite a bit at the dam and on the east end of the lake. You might be able to get in at willow bay some open water between the ice sheets around that area, but I'd call them to verify that.
Thank you very much for the info. Guess I'll find another destination this weekend. I'm not familiar with willow bay. Is it a private ramp or is it available to the public?
willow bay is public, but its kind of expensive. i believe last year it was 12$ to use the ramp unless you were in a RV spot
Yea, that's a bit pricey just to put a boat in the lake.
(03-24-2021, 07:09 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Yea, that's a bit pricey just to put a boat in the lake.
We finally made it down last weekend. We had to put in at willow bay as there was no docks at the public ramp by the dam. They only charged us 5 bucks to launch. There was some small sheets of ice left on that end of the lake but I'm sure they are long gone now. Fishing was slow for us, only a couple of nice rainbows trolling. We are new to the lake so I'm sure there are spots where the fish are hiding or biting. Top water temp was 35 to 37 degrees. Definitely a nice place and hope to get back soon.
That don't sound like a bad day, launch price there might go up after memorial day.
The price was $5.00 at Willow Bay through the summer last year.   I plan on taking a stab at the Fishing this Wed.  Waters a little cold so the fish will not be super aggresive, but its time to wet a line and get out of the house.   Big Grin
(03-29-2021, 12:06 AM)Fishonsometimes Wrote: The price was $5.00 at Willow Bay through the summer last year.   I plan on taking a stab at the Fishing this Wed.  Waters a little cold so the fish will not be super aggresive, but its time to wet a line and get out of the house.   Big Grin
Well i guess they decided to target me for a rip off then, because i guarantee it wasnt no $5 in july 2020. My wife made a big stink on how expensive it was, and $5 is normal price around where i live
(03-30-2021, 05:52 PM)terek Wrote:
(03-29-2021, 12:06 AM)Fishonsometimes Wrote: The price was $5.00 at Willow Bay through the summer last year.   I plan on taking a stab at the Fishing this Wed.  Waters a little cold so the fish will not be super aggresive, but its time to wet a line and get out of the house.   Big Grin
Well i guess they decided to target me for a rip off then, because i guarantee it wasnt no $5 in july 2020. My wife made a big stink on how expensive it was, and $5 is normal price around where i live
I will find out for sure tomorrow, Thursday. I didnt make it Wed, my fishing budy was ill.  I camped last time I was there.  Will this spring several times.  Cheaper than back and forth for me if I can hit the weather right.   I will ask the question from managment to get a firm answer and post it.  I hate to mislead anyone.  Wont be long and everyone can launch at the dam for the daily runs.  Thats Free.  Free is always good in my book.  

Angel
Looking forward to your your fishing report !
The wind report doesn't look too bad tomorrow, so good luck.
Tongue 
Up at 4 AM in the water at 7:30.  Waves and Rocky Rocky Rocky untill we got off the water at noon.  Soon after, while eating our lunch in the truck, the waves laid down.  What the heck.  Confused  

The west side was fishable in places that points broke the wave action.  Fish Caught 0.  I have never fished A F this early in the season so Its a learning curve for me. 

What I found was that the fish were not close in to the shore line but out in 60 ft of water.  A few around 15 ft depth occasionally.  Found lots of fish laying 3 to 5 ft off the bottom.  We trolled multiple depts and failed at getting a single hit.  Used double jointed rapallas size 9.  Both perch patterns and fire tiger.  Also trolled a worm behind a dodger.  

Water Temps 39.

Parking / launch was $5.00.  No one around to ask when we came back in.  Just some maintenace going on.  City web site says parking $5.00 and seasonal pass is $50.00.  Might change for the summer.  I have no idea at this point.

That its.  Staying away till the end of april, and weather and wind dependent for that run.
Water maybe a little cold yet, so they ain't much active, some warm days may bring them in a little shallower.
(04-02-2021, 01:50 AM)Fishonsometimes Wrote: Up at 4 AM in the water at 7:30.  Waves and Rocky Rocky Rocky untill we got off the water at noon.  Soon after, while eating our lunch in the truck, the waves laid down.  What the heck.  Confused  

The west side was fishable in places that points broke the wave action.  Fish Caught 0.  I have never fished A F this early in the season so Its a learning curve for me. 

What I found was that the fish were not close in to the shore line but out in 60 ft of water.  A few around 15 ft depth occasionally.  Found lots of fish laying 3 to 5 ft off the bottom.  We trolled multiple depts and failed at getting a single hit.  Used double jointed rapallas size 9.  Both perch patterns and fire tiger.  Also trolled a worm behind a dodger.  

Water Temps 39.

Parking / launch was $5.00.  No one around to ask when we came back in.  Just some maintenace going on.  City web site says parking $5.00 and seasonal pass is $50.00.  Might change for the summer.  I have no idea at this point.

That its.  Staying away till the end of april, and weather and wind dependent for that run.

Thanks for the report. From my experience trout and kokes are very shallow early in the year, you can't mark them when they are that shallow because they move off to the side as a boat comes through but you will see them taking stuff off the surface, if there are calm conditions. We usually trolling about 5 feet deep and no deeper that 10 ft. I can't say we ever slay them this early in the season but we always put a few fish in the boat. If you are using a lure that is a diver than that is all you need, if you are using Dodger and a worm, then just a 3/8 to 1/2 oz bullet weight is all you need to get it below the surface. How were you getting your dodger setup below the surface?
Thanks Wiper. We work all depths with everything we put out. Just was not my day, but always good to get in the water and wet the line.
Will hit it again towards the end of April. Will stay several days and get after it.