Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Looking for ice
Hi all, we have a friend who's never been ice fishing before and I'm hoping to take her along before everything melts (this weekend?). Are there any solid spots near Logan you can recommend? There's a catch to it, I'm a heavy guy and been laid up for the last couple weeks with arthritis in my foot/ankle, so I'm not going to be really steady getting on and off if the edges are thin/wet, I'm looking for a spot that has really easy on/off access. We were doing Newton, and that'd probably be my preference, but last couple times, we got a bit wet at the boat ramp.

Anyone know of a good place or is it pretty much done for the season?
I was thinking Newton would be the only place that I figured might still be safe, but I haven't been there for the last critical week, so I don't even know if it will be safe... As far as edge conditions go, Newton is steep enough sides that it's edges will likely be the shortest distance across, so taking a plank can get you across the open water... Some use ladders and etc, but I like a braced 2X10 plank... I put 2x4's on the sides like an I-beam and it's pretty strong, but heavy to deal with... Okay I didn't tell you this and don't spread it too far, but you can back your truck down the boat ramp into the water until your tailgate is across the ice, then unload your company and gear on the ice... Take the truck to park it and then cross the plank to get on the ice... But make sure the ice is okay before you drop off your company and leave them on a sinking ice berg... There was about 16-18" of good ice before the melt started so I would expect at least 6" left, but check carefully and avoid anything that will put more heat into the ice (piece of weeds or wood or rock) and cause areas to melt out early... I have personally given up for the year, but if I did feel the need for one more local trip, I'd try Newton myself... Good luck and wear your PFD and have a rope with you just in case... Let us know how the trip went... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Miles, I responded to your request on the Ice Report thread. I didn't realize you were in Cache Valley so my ideas might not be the best. Jeff really is the best expert for that area. I live in Spanish Fork and only fished Newton once but would love to go there again. Next year for sure.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Hello!  Mantua!   Big Grin

I'll be on it tomorrow.  Drove up there today and walked out on the ice about 10 feet.  Edges were as solid as the rest.  This was at the boat launch ramp area.  I expect the ice to still be at least a foot thick.  I'll report back tomorrow.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
If you go to Mantua watch the South East area it was open water last week don’t know how far the ice up there is still good. West side might be better where Bob mentioned. I haven’t fished there all year so my info is only from driving by. Actually looked pretty gray so I’d be really careful. Good luck. Jeff
Thanks for the tips, all. Will be looking to hear how Bob's trip goes, though I haven't had much luck at Mantua (ice on or off), it'd be at least the experience for my friend. Looks like we may not make it out until Sunday, so that makes for things being even more melted. If it doesn't work out, we'll just make sure we have casting poles on hand and find a different place.
(03-11-2021, 04:35 PM)Miles Fitzrobert Wrote: Thanks for the tips, all. Will be looking to hear how Bob's trip goes, though I haven't had much luck at Mantua (ice on or off), it'd be at least the experience for my friend. Looks like we may not make it out until Sunday, so that makes for things being even more melted. If it doesn't work out, we'll just make sure we have casting poles on hand and find a different place.
Bob called me this morning said the ice and edges are good at Mantua... 14" of ice still and said no problems getting on and off... He was graphing some fish this morning when he called, but hadn't caught any yet, but sounded like the fish were moving in, so I expect he'll tell us how it went later tonight... Good luck Jeff