Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
StUrGeOn
Kory and I ventured up to Idaho for our earliest ever sturgeon trip.  It was a successful trip.

As is too often the case, Kory caught the most fish, but I caught enough to be respectable.  Total count was 14 landed, one break off and two came unbuttoned.  I have been fishing for sturgeon since July 2003 and this was the first trip that I caught a trout while fishing for sturgeon.  Apparently, the water was still cool enough that trout ventured up into the area that we fish for sturgeon.  Also, not easy to hook most trout on an 8/0 hook. 

One other observation is that sturgeon rarely jump when the water is this cold.  They still can put a good bend in a fishing rod though.  As always, a fun and memorable fishing outing with Kory.

[Image: Down-image-of-sturgeon-03-13-21.jpg]

[Image: Mulitple-sturgeon-side-image-03-14-21.jpg]

[Image: Side-image-03-13-21.jpg]

[Image: Rainbow-trout-03-13-21.jpg]
Wow, that is a fat trout, how long was it, any idea on it's weight? Did you get those pics of the sturgeon on your side scan?
(03-14-2021, 09:29 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Wow, that is a fat trout, how long was it, any idea on it's weight? Did you get those pics of the sturgeon on your side scan?

Yes, the trout was definitely eating well.  It was only maybe 17 inches long and I would guess 3 to 3 1/2 pounds.  

The top picture is down scan and the others are side scan.  The pictures on the fish finder screen are much more impressive than the resolution on my post.
Nice trout. 8/0 hook should be big enough. LOL
I like the images. Do you have enough time with FF to tell if it helps the catch or just a fun thing to have in the toolbox?
Good fishing to all.   Hue
Nice, sounds like a great trip. I'd imagine that with the cold water sturgeon would be a little lethargic when your fighting them. Was the river low?
Man, those are some nice images, Kent. If I would have seen them show up on the graph, i would have to double up on the blood pressure meds.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(03-14-2021, 10:35 PM)BURLEY Wrote: Do you have enough time with FF to tell if it helps the catch or just a fun thing to have in the toolbox?

It makes a huge difference.  One problem I have had, up there, is because the bottom is soft mud I have had a difficult time seeing images on my screen (the screen is very dark).  Nathan was also fishing from his boat and he said that he was using a white background (there are 12 different choices of background colors that one can use).  I switched to the white background and I was able to see the fish images more easily.  The second morning we caught 4 sturgeon in the first hour and then it started to slow down some.  We decided to search for them and we found a large number of sturgeon approximately 400 yards downstream from where we were fishing.  Without side imaging we would have had no idea where to move.  We anchored up and the bite was on again.  

I have also found that side imaging also works while we are anchored up.  All of the images above were while we were anchored up.
Looks like a good trip.

Hoping to make a trip up there soon myself.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
(03-14-2021, 11:24 PM)meancuznalf Wrote: Was the river low?

Yes, the lowest I have ever fished it.