Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview on the way out - 3/16
A buddy and I fished the Narrows today.  What a couple warm days will do to the ice.  The top cloudy layer has completely disintegrated into watery mush.  Still 5-6" of clear ice below, but with this warmer weather, I would not venture out this weekend.  Edges have substantially weakened and you need an 8-10' plank to get on.  Even with that, my buddy went in up to his waist on the way out.

That said, fishing slowed considerably from this weekend.  Started around 2:30 and fish till 7:30.  Between the two of us, we landed about 30.  Perch were tight to the bottom.  The main concentration seemed to have moved out and were were catch a few here and there that were moving thru.

If u head out in the next day or two BE VERY CAREFUL!!  If you do, make sure you have the necessary safety equipment.  Even then, is a perch dinner worth losing your equipment and possibly more??
(03-17-2021, 05:22 AM)MWScott72 Wrote: A buddy and I fished the Narrows today.  What a couple warm days will do to the ice.  The top cloudy layer has completely disintegrated into watery mush.  Still 5-6" of clear ice below, but with this warmer weather, I would not venture out this weekend.  Edges have substantially weakened and you need an 8-10' plank to get on.  Even with that, my buddy went in up to his waist on the way out.

That said, fishing slowed considerably from this weekend.  Started around 2:30 and fish till 7:30.  Between the two of us, we landed about 30.  Perch were tight to the bottom.  The main concentration seemed to have moved out and were were catch a few here and there that were moving thru.

If u head out in the next day or two BE VERY CAREFUL!!  If you do, make sure you have the necessary safety equipment.  Even then, is a perch dinner worth losing your equipment and possibly more??
Agree.  I checked out the Port Ramp yesterday morning.  I 'walked the plank(s)' somebody had left there and found weak ice along the edges.  I would not try entry with my SnowDog at this point.  I then drove to Mantua and found similar conditions.  So, I'm done for the season.  There is still safe ice at higher elevations such as the Uintas, Strawberry, Fish Lake, etc. if you don't mind the longer drives to these locations.  I'll be getting the boat ready this week and maybe hitting some soft decks next week.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."