Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish Lake Fishing Report
Fished Fish Lake this past weekend with Brunomoki

Ice is a good 20 inches thick with about 6 inches of snow on top. Slush was only an issue on the East side.
Fri was amazing sunny around 40 degrees and light wind.
Sat was brutal 40 mph winds, snow blowing everywhere and very hard fishing conditions. We are diehards so we still fished for 12 hours straight taking advantage of the longest day of the year.
Sun was nice up until about 2 when an Western Arctic Chill blew 50 mph over top of the mountains and just ripped snow off the lake and froze everything in its path. The wind always picks up in the afternoon down there so be forewarned.

We fished Fri, Sat and Sun. All total between the two of us caught about 100 fish for the trip.

A lot of perch, splake, laker pups and some rainbows.

The Best Fish of the Trip caught by Brunomoki is this 25 inch 12 lb trophy Tiger Trout beast. 
In case you are wondering the UT State Catch and Release record Tiger is 29"
I used to outfish Brunomoki all the time now he outfishes me almost every time.   Rolleyes

Attached Files Image(s)

That is a real nice tiger.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
I have caught a fair number of 25" trout and a few longer. I have yet to have one go 12 lbs though. I believe that tiger is every bit of 25", but I'm having a real hard time believing it officially weighed 12 pounds. I'm going to say 8 pounds tops. Either way it's a great fish and I'd be super happy-camper if I caught it.
(03-22-2021, 07:13 PM)Big Sky Wrote: I have caught a fair number of 25" trout and a few longer. I have yet to have one go 12 lbs though. I believe that tiger is every bit of 25", but I'm having a real hard time believing it officially weighed 12 pounds. I'm going to say 8 pounds tops. Either way it's a great fish and I'd be super happy-camper if I caught it.

You could be right. My scale batteries crapped out in the cold so we couldn't officially weigh it.
We are estimating as it is the Biggest Trout we've ever caught. Plus the fish tale annuals say the internet always adds 4 lbs  Smile
Awesome! Nice tiger!
Like I said I'd be a super happy camper to catch that tiger. It is a trophy sized fish in my opinion regardless of the weight.
Amazing, a guy can look at a picture and tell what something weighs! Great fish Icefisher!
Life is not about how to avoid the storm but rather how to dance in the rain!
I agree with Big Sky, pictures can be deceiving but, when you gauge it by the length which was given (25")and the picture no way it is 12Lbs. But also as he said it is a great fish for sure a 25" beauty for sure!!! Congrats on that great Trophy Tiger !
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
Length of fish 25"
Girth 18-20"
Brunomoki said the fish felt about 10 lbs

Using the formula
Fish Weight = Length × Girth × Girth / 900

25x18x18/900 = 9 lbs

25x20x20/900 = 11 lbs

This fish is in the 9 to 11 lb range.
Not to split hairs, or offend anyone but........ the trout formula is Length times girth squared divided by 800.... Also since girth is squared (It has a very significant impact in the outcome) it does no good to estimate the girth "about" doesn't cut it, it needs to be very precise to get an accurate "guestimate"
I have been very fortunate to fish around the world and catch some spectacular trout of many species, up to 18 lbs (not including Lakers). I have never seen a 11 or even a 9 Lb 25" trout. With that said without a digital scale to verify it, it doesn't matter. Who cares what it weighed, it is a great trophy Tiger a 25" beauty a great catch for Sure !! I would love to had caught it.
Much like people with a great 6 point bull Elk who cares how many "points or inches" taking a 6 Point Bull elk is a great trophy as well no matter what is "scores" !!
Great job excellent catch and fishing report.
(03-23-2021, 08:38 PM)Mildog Wrote: Not to split hairs, or offend anyone but........ the trout formula is Length times girth squared divided by 800.... Also since girth is squared (It has a very significant impact in the outcome) it does no good to estimate the girth "about" doesn't cut it, it needs to be very precise to get an accurate "guestimate"
I have been very fortunate to fish around the world and catch some spectacular trout of many species, up to 18 lbs (not including Lakers).  I have never seen a 11 or even a 9 Lb 25" trout.  With that said without a digital scale to verify it, it doesn't matter. Who cares what it weighed, it is a great trophy Tiger a 25" beauty a great catch for Sure !! I would love to had caught it.
Much like people with a great 6 point bull Elk who cares how many "points or inches" taking a 6 Point Bull elk is a great trophy as well no matter what is "scores" !!

Thanks - you are correct on the formula. Really wish my digital scale was working to get the accurate weight.
This monster fish did not want to come up the hole he came up tail first. When I saw his tail I reached my arm all the way down the hole to get under him and popped him onto the ice. Amazing to see such a large Tiger come out of Fish Lake.
Congrats to Brunomoki on such a great catch - I only made sure the fish made it onto the ice.
The fish thrive in that lake and you can catch a lot of different species there  - that is why it is my favorite.
(03-24-2021, 03:25 PM)icefisher88 Wrote:
(03-23-2021, 08:38 PM)Mildog Wrote: Not to split hairs, or offend anyone but........ the trout formula is Length times girth squared divided by 800.... Also since girth is squared (It has a very significant impact in the outcome) it does no good to estimate the girth "about" doesn't cut it, it needs to be very precise to get an accurate "guestimate"
I have been very fortunate to fish around the world and catch some spectacular trout of many species, up to 18 lbs (not including Lakers).  I have never seen a 11 or even a 9 Lb 25" trout.  With that said without a digital scale to verify it, it doesn't matter. Who cares what it weighed, it is a great trophy Tiger a 25" beauty a great catch for Sure !! I would love to had caught it.

Thanks - you are correct on the formula. Really wish my digital scale was working to get the accurate weight.
This monster fish did not want to come up the hole he came up tail first. When I saw his tail I reached my arm all the way down the hole to get under him and popped him onto the ice. Amazing to see such a large Tiger come out of Fish Lake.
Congrats to Brunomoki on such a great catch - I only made sure the fish made it onto the ice.
The fish thrive in that lake and you can catch a lot of different species there  - that is why it is my favorite.

That is as big of a tiger as I've seen come out of that lake!
What an awesome fish. Congrats and I'm very jealous. I caught a tiger there once but thought it was something else because I didn't know there were tigers in there.

Since we're having a polite conversation about estimating the weight of fish, I'll throw in a couple of things. When I started getting serious about catfishing I did a ton of research on the relationship between length and weight. One of the first things I learned is that everybody and his cousin has a formula, so it amuses me when somebody says this is THE formula. I compared a bunch of them and gave a lot more credence to those established by scientific studies that used terms like "least square means," "algorithm," etc. What I finally realized is that, according to the various formulas, I could estimate the weight of a channel cat by taking the second digit in it's length and adding one pound. In this case the second digit is 5 and adding a pound would put it around 6 pounds. I know this does not necessarily fit for trout. But I will look up the formulas for trout and get myself more informed. And to echo others, that's a dang nice fish, better than I have ever caught.

Okay, so I did a quick search and found a couple of formulas that were slightly different. They estimated the weight for a 25" trout as 5.84 and 6.57 pounds. For what it's worth:

The equation is: weight in pounds = girth2 x length / 800, with both girth and length measured in inches. Wood's equation was first developed with tarpon in mind, but it was quickly adopted by catch-and-release fishermen everywhere, because it's an easy way to provide a ballpark estimate of your fish's weight.

Fish Weight Calculations
The fish weights are calculated with the formulas below. If a fish girth is not specified, the default value Fish Girth = 0.58 × Length is used.

Trout, steelhead, mackerel, snook, redfish, bonefish
Fish Weight = Length × Girth × Girth / 900
Salmon, bass
Fish Weight = Length × Girth × Girth / 800
Walleye
Fish Weight = Length × Length × Length / 3500
Pike, gar
Fish Weight = Length × Length × Length / 2700
Sunfish, bluegill
Fish Weight = Length × Girth × Girth / 1200
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

There were some concerns raised about this thread. Being new as a moderator I was unsure exactly how to fix them, so I just deleted all the comments and closed the thread. Likely I ticked everyone off with that but chalk it up to me being new at the role.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Had a good chat with our administrator. We don't see anything out of line with the post or comments, so I have opened it up and restored all the comments.

Cheers
All's well that ends.  Being a mod is a tough unpaid job.  I know.  I been that, done there...or whatever.  Never sure about erring on the side of caution...or being cautious on the side of erring.  And just like politics (and marriage...and religion) no matter what you decide you ain't gonna keep everybody happy.   So don't even try.

You doin' a fine job young man.  Keep on keepin' on.
(03-25-2021, 07:02 PM)TubeDude Wrote: All's well that ends.  Being a mod is a tough unpaid job.  I know.  I been that, done there...or whatever.  Never sure about erring on the side of caution...or being cautious on the side of erring.  And just like politics (and marriage...and religion) no matter what you decide you ain't gonna keep everybody happy.   So don't even try.

You doin' a fine job young man.  Keep on keepin' on.

I am a much better pumpkin grower than internet moderator, but being so so at something has never stopped me yet
One thing I do know about tiger trout is they punch above their weight or length or girth... Based on the size of the grin it was fun to catch. Have a family trip to Fish Lake planned for the summer. Definitely looking forward to some bent poles. Congrats on the nice fish.
Thanks to all of the moderators, its not an easy task. They don’t get enough credit for all they do !! I think there is a lot of good info on this thread and worth reading. So as Tube Dude said all’s well that ends well.
I agree. Often people are too quick to cancel information or be offended. I don’t think anyone intended
To offend or disparage. A great fish report and fish, lots of good info and opinions offered.
Im for one wishing for more fish and big fish for everyone this year!!
That is a nice Tiger!