Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Expanded polystyrene for float jigs
Trying to find a dealer that sells the pre expanded polystyrene resin or beads to pour into a jig mold. Everything I am coming up with has already been expanded or I can buy the pre expanded beads in bulk, enough to make a trillion floating jig heads. Any suggestions or links to the right place to get this stuff in a modest amount?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Expandable-Poly...890.l49292

Can try Hagens Fish supply too.
Thanks for the tip one that. I ended up opening my kids craft box and found foam clay, flash foil, neon acrylic paint. I picked up the eyes hooks and resin. The kids molded the heads and provided the flash foil design and painting. I did the resin dipping and here are the results of my first batch of fligs.
[Image: F9-BA0-CE9-4110-49-A1-90-B8-53-C66908-F380.jpg]
I know they float!! Will find out if the resin coating will provide some durability and can’t wait to find out if they can catch something.

Thanks for all the great posts in making these and tips on fishing this type of jig. I appreciate that
Lol, that's great, never thought of using that stuff. Those look great. Floating jigs work great for everything, I use a minnow looking style I love them.
(03-28-2021, 03:16 AM)filletedalive Wrote: Thanks for the tip one that. I ended up opening my kids craft box and found foam clay, flash foil, neon acrylic paint. I picked up the eyes hooks and resin. The kids molded the heads and provided the flash foil design and painting. I did the resin dipping and here are the results of my first batch of fligs.
[Image: F9-BA0-CE9-4110-49-A1-90-B8-53-C66908-F380.jpg]
I know they float!! Will find out if the resin coating will provide some durability and can’t wait to find out if they can catch something.

Thanks for all the great posts in making these and tips on fishing this type of jig. I appreciate that
I'm betting the fishies will vote for them.  They look a lot better than some of the first attempts I made at crafting my own floating jigs...and they worked.

The main idea with "fligs" is not so much being artistic as simply providing an attractive colorful head that will present your bait (or plastic) a bit up off the bottom.  If that material does the job then you are golden.

Once you get into fligology, you will find there are a few variables in your presentation...size, color, bait, weight, leader length, speed and/or retrieve, etc.  The good news is that there is neither an absolute way you HAVE to fish them...or probably no way that will NEVER work.  But refining your presentations with experience can improve your results.

They look good to me.  But what do I know?