Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pelican Lake Question
It's been many years since I have fished the lake.  I wanna recall the DNR treated the lake a couple of years ago correct me if I'm wrong! 
Did they put the bass back in the lake after the treatment?  It's always a fun lake to catch some Bluegill and bass in the past.  Was thinking of heading out there around the first of May.  What sizes have they been catching there and what species are being caught?
Current species:
LM bass - 8" to 13" typical catch
Bluegill - 4" to 5" typical with a few 7" to 8" mixed in.
Tiger musky possible, but not likely, only around 100 catchable (28").
Mud cats - small, but plentiful.
Who put the bleeping mudcats in there??? Bluegill, LMB, and Tiger musky were the only fish restocked.
My nephew fished Pelican last spring and it was slowwww. We have fished it every year around Memorial weekend for years. It has not bounced back from the treatment to get rid of the carp. The introduction of tiger-muskies will only slow that rebound. I loved taking my family to pelican, it was such a fun fishery. I hope it comes back soon.
(03-26-2021, 05:56 PM)Therapist Wrote: Who put the bleeping mudcats in there???  Bluegill, LMB, and Tiger musky were the only fish restocked.
 black bullhead catfish (Mud cats) have been in Pelican for a long time (over 20 years). They are more tolerant of rotenone and were not removed by the 2018 treatment.
There was also some nice sized channel cats in there before the treatment. Still hoping that they will put some back in.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
I was working as a volunteer for the Idaho Fish Managers many years ago. I learned that carp die pretty easily from rotenone, as do trout, bass, etc. Crayfish are really tough to remove because they seem to find springs or other incoming water and crowd around it. One of their divers confirmed that. I saw video of it, but that was pre-smart phones.

Mud Cats, AKA Bullhead cats, can survive without much Oxygen so they require a huge dose of rotenone. Many of us have taken cats, especially bullhead cats, home in a bucket, put them in the sink full of water to clean them, and had those cats that have been out of water of an hour or two come back to life.