Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Had a nice few hours yesterday morning.....
Went to the keys last week and was hoping to post some fish pics, never really happened as I was limited and on time (wife and kids had other plans). I did manage some snapper and jumped a tarpon but that lasted a few seconds. Anyways, back in town and the wind died down, was a bit breezy from Laura passing by. Got out on a high tide and just threw cut bait against the mangroves. Ended up with some nice Reds with one pushing 30” and a bonus 30” snook. I ended up breaking a rod, I was fighting the bigger red when my other rod went bendo, couldn’t get it out of the holder in time and it snapped at the handle. I ended up grabbing the rod as it was going overboard and tried to fight two fish at the same time. 2nd one ended up breaking off anyways. I emailed the rod company, hopefully I can can’t a reduced cost replacement as I doubt it’s covered under warranty.

[Image: 931449-F4-C7-CF-432-C-A5-FA-4-A88-C421-EE29.jpg]

[Image: 5-E74-B872-9-C06-4-E05-9-EF9-AEB149-A83479.jpg]

[Image: D1-E9-A183-7723-4-EF7-906-E-094833-EEE83-A.jpg]

[Image: EAF3-EFF0-4527-4-C87-A4-E7-74950-E201-C53.jpg]
Where were you in the Keys? August is tough with the ocean feeling like a warm bath. Getting offshore can help. Lobster permits are only $5. I didn’t go down for the mini season this year. I imagine there was a bit less pressure and they’re still relatively easy to get. A little steeper learning curve than fishing but most kids can catch spiny lobsters by their early teens. The biggest issue for adults and teens is to practice swimming for longer periods of time without coming up to breath before you go.
Stayed on Marathon, I did my fishing in the old quarry off Bahia Honda, that place is full of Tarpon. And yes, the water is hot!
If you’re going to throw bait, just remember everything eats live shrimp. Not sure how old your kids are but if you ever go down for spiny lobster I really like Summerland Key (my favorite place to stay in the Keys anytime of year) and had tremendous success last time at Cudjoe Key. The 2 day mini season at the End of July is generally your best bet. Just be warned it went from being generally overlooked 10 to 15 years ago to being the heaviest traffic of the year in the Keys in the past 5 years. If you’ve ever been down at Christmas and the New Year you’ll understand just how many hours extra you can get tied up on Highway 1. The regular lobster season you have to compete with commercial trappers taking millions of lobsters. However since the trade war with China they have had the high demand and $15 a pound whole lobster price evaporate so that’s leaving plenty for sportsman. The reason the Keys are so popular is you don’t need to scuba dive to get them like most of Florida.
Most of those other old excavation pits down there are full of tarpon, too! And all the bridge channels, of course. Night time can be the right time if the tide/current matches up.
Sounds like a great trip, my wife and I were just talking about making a trip down there and spending some of that time fishing. Hopefully you can get that rod replaced without too much hassle.