Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle, fishing, ramp and ice report
Went up to Jordanelle Sunday expecting main ramp and lake to be ice free. Not!
The main ramp is still locked in, the far north end is open but a big patch of ice has main ramp and the Damn end of the lake separated. I boated up to the edge and the ice sheet is still pretty solid, warm temps and some wind should make short work of it. But, I thought it would have been gone by now from my earlier trip. The personal watercraft ramp is open no problems. Now, for the fishing we tried hard for kokes for about 4 hours with no luck. Switched to casting jigs and jerk baits and we caught rainbow a couple nice browns 19” and about a 17” Splake in about an hour. The wind picked up a bit and we called it quits for the day. Kept a bow and splake for dinner. I T
Talked to 3 other boats no kokes caught, a rainbow and or brown here and there seemed to be the norm.
Hopefully warm weather this week will open it all up.
[Image: F74-E6568-AE67-4-C78-AFF6-5-C7-FD562-D268.jpg]
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
(03-29-2021, 03:00 PM)Mildog Wrote: Went up to Jordanelle Sunday expecting main ramp and lake to be ice free. Not!
The main ramp is still locked in, the far north end is open but a big patch of ice has main ramp and the Damn end of the lake separated.  I boated up to the edge and the ice sheet is still pretty solid, warm temps and some wind should make short work of it. But, I thought it would have been gone by now from my earlier trip. The personal watercraft ramp is open no problems. Now, for the fishing we tried hard for kokes for about 4 hours with no luck. Switched to casting jigs and jerk baits and we caught rainbow a couple nice browns 19” and about a 17” Splake in about an hour. The wind picked up a bit and we called it quits for the day. Kept a bow and splake for dinner. I T
Talked to 3 other boats no kokes caught, a rainbow and or brown here and there seemed to be the norm.
Nice report and pic, I know it's still early in the season but the koke season isn't looking good for Jordanelle, if this trend continues. How early were you getting out there last year and catching them?
(03-29-2021, 05:47 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(03-29-2021, 03:00 PM)Mildog Wrote: Went up to Jordanelle Sunday expecting main ramp and lake to be ice free. Not!
The main ramp is still locked in, the far north end is open but a big patch of ice has main ramp and the Damn end of the lake separated.  I boated up to the edge and the ice sheet is still pretty solid, warm temps and some wind should make short work of it. But, I thought it would have been gone by now from my earlier trip. The personal watercraft ramp is open no problems. Now, for the fishing we tried hard for kokes for about 4 hours with no luck. Switched to casting jigs and jerk baits and we caught rainbow a couple nice browns 19” and about a 17” Splake in about an hour. The wind picked up a bit and we called it quits for the day. Kept a bow and splake for dinner. I T
Nice report and pic, I know it's still early in the season but the koke season isn't looking good for Jordanelle, if this trend continues. How early were you getting out there last year and catching them?

I just looked at live video of the main ramp.  Ice is gone just some stacked up on the concrete ramp.  Let the boating begin. We just need the dock put in the water.

(03-29-2021, 05:47 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

I just looked at live video of the main ramp.  Ice is gone just some stacked up on the concrete ramp.  Let the boating begin. We just need the dock put in the water.
Because of Covid rules when for a while you had to be from the county that the state park was in it kept me away.
Koke fishing started last year in March in Areas of the lake that were accessible last year and this year during the same time period.
I started catching them well in late April. May, June, July and August were good for me.
I have a theory that it may not be as good this year. I am going to hold back until I can fish different spots in the next few weeks. If it doesn’t fish well for kokes, I may have an idea why. It has been great for 3 years.
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
I saw a post on another site with a video showing open water at the main launch ramp, the wind blew off all the ice, the north end is completely open.