Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing - Pack Horse Trip Info Wanted
I'd like to take my son on a fishing trip after he graduates this year from High School.  He's very interested in doing a horse-pack trip for 3-5 days where he can do a lot of fishing.
Does anyone have any experience with an outfitter that you would recommend?  Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Utah?  
I have done some searching on the web but seem to find the most expensive ones.  In the past I've been able to give my 2 older daughters the trips they have requested.....but there is a 5 year difference between my son and next oldest....times have changed.....covid has not been good and left me unemployed for 9+ months (fortunately I was able to finally find employment).......so unfortunately I have to find something a little more budget friendly.  Figured this would be a good spend for our Covid checks!
I would appreciate any ideas.
Thanks in advance!
http://bigholetroutfitters.com/
You can start here, not sure they offer what you want, but might be able to point you in the right direction.
(03-30-2021, 04:07 PM)rgreenland Wrote: I'd like to take my son on a fishing trip after he graduates this year from High School.  He's very interested in doing a horse-pack trip for 3-5 days where he can do a lot of fishing.
Does anyone have any experience with an outfitter that you would recommend?  Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Utah?  
I have done some searching on the web but seem to find the most expensive ones.  In the past I've been able to give my 2 older daughters the trips they have requested.....but there is a 5 year difference between my son and next oldest....times have changed.....covid has not been good and left me unemployed for 9+ months (fortunately I was able to finally find employment).......so unfortunately I have to find something a little more budget friendly.  Figured this would be a good spend for our Covid checks!
I would appreciate any ideas.
Thanks in advance!
Try Cachecreekoutfitters.com
They offer pack trips for fishing in and around Yellowstone for $250 per person per day. I've never used them but they look reputable online.
Y'all will have a blast. Have been on several trips on my own with our horses and its a ton of fun. Good luck
Adam Eakle did a show last year about a pack trip here in Utah.  You might want to contact him at KSL for particulars.  He, unfortunately, fell off a horse and had some cracked ribs to content with, but otherwise he encouraged his viewers to give this outfitter a try as it was a great experience at a reasonable cost.  It was pre-covid I believe as nobody was wearing masks.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I don't know what they charge, but they run the same area we backpack in the Wind Rivers, and it is unreal country... My first year in the winds I took the scouts up in July and had an Alaska trip in August that year. My Alaska trip was top shelf for sure, but the wind river trip was even better... If you haven't ever been to the wind rivers I'd highly encourage you to consider it... The outfitter is called Allen's Diamond 4 or something like that. They probably are listed as Lander Wyoming, but their located up on the top of the Wind River range across the reservation. Appeared to me that you can probably choose what you want them to do for you, some had them pack them into a lake where they camped for as long as they wanted and then they would come pack you back out at the end. (This would be the option I'd choose, you don't have to bother with taking care of horses all week this way.) Others had them leave a guide with them that cooked for them and then took them around to see the sights... Guess it all depends on how much you wanted to spend... Their guides have seemed courteous, although they are a little possessive of the area and don't really like to see back packers in the area they want a pristine experience for their guests, but I'd probably be the same way if I was guiding folks in there... but it's public ground or reservation, so they have to deal with other folks crazy enough to walk that far into it... Fishing and scenery is top shelf, don't think you can find much better, the last few years it's starting to get more popular, so you won't be the only ones there, but it's still pretty remote... If you got the change to do it, I think you'll have the trip of a lifetime... Good luck... Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(03-31-2021, 12:45 PM)dubob Wrote: Adam Eakle did a show last year about a pack trip here in Utah.  You might want to contact him at KSL for particulars.  He, unfortunately, fell off a horse and had some cracked ribs to content with, but otherwise he encouraged his viewers to give this outfitter a try as it was a great experience at a reasonable cost.  It was pre-covid I believe as nobody was wearing masks.
Thanks Bob.  Thats exactly what I had in mind at the start.  After looking up that episode (part 2) they mention Ball Mountain Outfitters.  They were my first call.  Unfortunately they are booked solid for 2021.  I'll keep searching!
(04-01-2021, 03:41 PM)rgreenland Wrote:
(03-31-2021, 12:45 PM)dubob Wrote: Adam Eakle did a show last year about a pack trip here in Utah.  You might want to contact him at KSL for particulars.  He, unfortunately, fell off a horse and had some cracked ribs to content with, but otherwise he encouraged his viewers to give this outfitter a try as it was a great experience at a reasonable cost.  It was pre-covid I believe as nobody was wearing masks.
Thanks Bob.  Thats exactly what I had in mind at the start.  After looking up that episode (part 2) they mention Ball Mountain Outfitters.  They were my first call.  Unfortunately they are booked solid for 2021.  I'll keep searching!
Best of luck in finding an outfitter.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
This one has been highly recommended Golden Trout Pack Trip it also is rather affordable at about 1000 bucks/person for 3 or 4 days. It sounds pretty sweet. Also, if you can't find any trips, consider renting a llama or mule and going ahead yourselves. It could be lots of fun just exploring the two of you in the backcountry with your own supplies and a map and several outfitters here in the state and in WY do that. (It'd probably be cheaper too.) There are a lot of cool areas here in the west you could try it at. Good luck!
(04-02-2021, 04:03 AM)Envenomation09 Wrote: This one has been highly recommended Golden Trout Pack Trip it also is rather affordable at about 1000 bucks/person for 3 or 4 days. It sounds pretty sweet. Also, if you can't find any trips, consider renting a llama or mule and going ahead yourselves. It could be lots of fun just exploring the two of you in the backcountry with your own supplies and a map and several outfitters here in the state and in WY do that. (It'd probably be cheaper too.) There are a lot of cool areas here in the west you could try it at. Good luck!
There are also pack goats you can rent up around Evanston, they are way easier to have around camp than horses and don't have the attitude that llama's can have at times...
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!