Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crappie
Which lakes are your favorite for crappie and why?
Willard for me, but the catch has been pretty slim the last few years. Last year's high water may have produced a good year class, but it'll be a while before they have any size - IF they don't all get 'et first.

I used to fish Pineview for crappie, but have given up that lake to the jet ski idjits. The confiscatory launch fees don't help.
Lake Powell - size

Pineview - numbers

Echo - challenge

Honorable mention: Willard, Utah Lake and Newton
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
I agree with CowboyPirate. Willard has some nice crappie two if you can find them. My PB (12 inches) came out of Willard during the spawn.
Why do I like fishing so much? The same reason why you like breathing so much, It keeps me alive.
(03-31-2021, 05:26 PM)Samsquacth Wrote: Which lakes are your favorite for crappie and why?
I like Deer creek. It's a hidden gem of crappie. The numbers are not huge, but when you find them you can score some big ones. While walleye fishing I have caught 15 inch crappie. Don't overlook the opportunity of catching a nice variety of species in one location. It is my favorite northern Utah body of water to fish. I haven't fished Lake Powell so I cant say it is my overall favorite. 
Gabe
(04-06-2021, 12:55 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote:
(03-31-2021, 05:26 PM)Samsquacth Wrote: Which lakes are your favorite for crappie and why?
I like Deer creek. It's a hidden gem of crappie. The numbers are not huge, but when you find them you can score some big ones. While walleye fishing I have caught 15 inch crappie. Don't overlook the opportunity of catching a nice variety of species in one location. It is my favorite northern Utah body of water to fish. I haven't fished Lake Powell so I cant say it is my overall favorite. 
Gabe.

I thought deer creek was a unspeakable secret lol. Went last Friday with my tube, went to put on waders that were still sitting on my porch. So needless to say no crappie fishing was done.
(04-07-2021, 01:34 AM)Samsquacth Wrote:
Gabe.

I thought deer creek was a unspeakable secret lol. Went last Friday with my tube, went to put on waders that were still sitting on my porch. So needless to say no crappie fishing was done.
Water is still chilly on Deer creek. I launched last week and after two hours my feet were numb. I really have never targeted crappie there, but have caught them accidentally chasing my favorite fish, the walleye. I may give them a targeted shot this year though while I wait for the post spawn walleye bite in June. 
Gabe
(04-07-2021, 02:13 AM)Freakyfisherman Wrote:
Gabe.

Water is still chilly on Deer creek. I launched last week and after two hours my feet were numb. I really have never targeted crappie there, but have caught them accidentally chasing my favorite fish, the walleye. I may give them a targeted shot this year though while I wait for the post spawn walleye bite in June. 
Gabe I’d like to try and target crappie at DC also! Where do you think would be good areas to search? I’ve always thought way up the walls burg arm or maybe in the brush down near Charleston! Thoughts?
(04-10-2021, 10:39 PM)Dave Clifton Wrote:
Gabe.

Gabe I’d like to try and target crappie at DC also! Where do you think would be good areas to search? I’ve always thought way up the walls burg arm or maybe in the brush down near Charleston! Thoughts?
In wallsburg is where I've had luck
(04-11-2021, 01:28 AM)Samsquacth Wrote:
(04-10-2021, 10:39 PM)Dave Clifton Wrote:
(04-06-2021, 12:55 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote: I like Deer creek. It's a hidden gem of crappie. The numbers are not huge, but when you find them you can score some big ones. While walleye fishing I have caught 15 inch crappie. Don't overlook the opportunity of catching a nice variety of species in one location. It is my favorite northern Utah body of water to fish. I haven't fished Lake Powell so I cant say it is my overall favorite. 
Gabe.

In wallsburg is where I've had luck
I have caught crappie all over deer creek. Anywhere I chase walleye I have found them. Look for weeds or brush. Also drop off areas on rocky shorelines. My buddy caught one chasing walleyes this week. It was a crappie shy of 14 inches. Gabe
I will say... I caught a 14.5" crappie in quail creek on a 6" paddle tail green worm a few years ago
Quail i srumored to have some large Crappie in there. I have only fished it twice and never caught a Crappie.
My wife caught a 13.5” crappie thru the ice at PV this winter. Some big ones are in there, including that one we put it back, but that was a one off. Everything else seems to be in the 8 to 9 inch range or smaller. Willard has much better size on average but not near the numbers. I’ve pulled a few out of Willard already but they haven’t turned on yet.
I've pulled in some decent Crappie at PV late last summer. I've also heard good things about DC and need to get up there this year to try it out.

My wife and I lucked into finding Crappie at Echo last year, didn't even know they were in there.

SH, Quail and Gunlock...great numbers and size and very few people target them there.
Almost forgot, Newton has some decent slabs too.
How has gunlock been since they transported all the fish to pruess a few years ago? I'm assuming at pruess they all died. I know some locals who swear there's nothing but carp in there ?