Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jordanelle??
I saw about 12 to 15 fishing boats out today on jordanelle.  Can anyone report a kokanee being caught?
I just got home from a quick trip to Jordy. Fished for a couple of hours until sundown. Boated 2 rainbows and no kokes.
(04-02-2021, 03:09 AM)FishfulThinkin Wrote: I just got home from a quick trip to Jordy. Fished for a couple of hours until sundown. Boated 2 rainbows and no kokes.

Thanks, saw fish but not biting??
Bduck joined me for the day there today. We worked all over the north arm and main bay for 1 hit that came off on Rogers rod. A few single marks here and there and some groups way down in the deep water (150’ plus). Saw 1 net come up but believe they lost whatever it was, talked to 1 guy said they got a couple bows, those at the dock I talked with drew a blank also. Water temp was 38.2 when we started and 39.7 when we pulled off at 1:30. There is some ice chunks floating around in the bay by the main launch FYI, they have a wedge dock in also. Weather was great.

[Image: C80825-C8-0327-4953-8-D60-4-E21-A9623-F35.jpg]

[Image: 8-F0-A9468-0-BEA-4-CDE-B61-E-3-CD15205-F5-D5.jpg]
Thanks for the details. Nice report.
Ok, I can report a Kokanee being Caught at Jordanelle .
I was fishing at 120 feet trolling at 6 miles an hour with a T-50 frog flatfish. We got 20 total up to 24” long. OH WAIT THAT WAS YESTERDAY AND IT WAS APRIL FOOLS!!
Now seriously my third trip this season to Jordanelle was the charm sort of. Finally caught a single Kokanee today Friday 4/2 at about 12:30. Only hit of the day fished from about 11:15 till about 3:30 caught it at 20 feet on pink squid and silver scale dodger. Did not mark many fish at any depth. Talked to two other boats 1 rainbow each no kokes. Now that the ice is all gone I was able to try several areas that were good last year. No luck but the single kokanee we got. I remember a period early last season when it had been good but then it shut off for a couple weeks then it came on and was good all summer. I’m holding out hope that is the case. But as I mentioned in another post I have a bad feeling that this year might not be as good as past 3 years. I plan to wait a bit and try again. I have a theory as to why it MIGHT not be good for kokes this year. Hope I’m wrong and it improves.
Here’s a picture of todays Koke on my homemade fillet station and holding it.
[Image: 327-DD286-DE15-4658-A545-CF6813099-EC5.jpg]

[Image: F9208-A1-B-6-C9-A-4686-BD8-D-D21-F524-B83-ED.jpg]
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
Great idea on the filet table!
Great looking koke Mildog, how long was it?
That fillet table would be contraband at Strawberry Reservoir but not anywhere else in Utah.
Remember to dumb yourself down when you go to Strawberry and to not fillet Kokes.
We are being insulted by the DWR because obviously we can’t identify Kokanee at that particular elevation.
I’m sure our angler survey comments will get that rule eliminated soon....
(04-03-2021, 02:55 PM)MrShane Wrote: That fillet table would be contraband at Strawberry Reservoir but not anywhere else in Utah.
Remember to dumb yourself down when you go to Strawberry and to not fillet Kokes.
We are being insulted by the DWR because obviously we can’t identify Kokanee at that particular elevation.
I’m sure our angler survey comments will get that rule eliminated soon....
Ya think???  Confused
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I don't see why we can't fillet the fish, while leaving the "skin" on. Won't that be enough identification?
The one Kokanee I caught was 16”. Last year biggest we got were 19 1/2 inches . I am fully aware of the stupid strawberry rule on filleting. But if camping at the lake and you want to eat one you might want to fillet it instead of eating it whole!! LOL
Actually I made it for a couple places I fish / camp that don’t have cleaning station and no good place to do it onshore or at camp this way I can fillet them and puncture air bladder and send the carcass to the depths.
I wish they would allow us to fillet with skin attached at strawberry, my goodness anyone that would confuse a kokanee fillet with a cutthroat is incompetent.
And speaking of the Strawberry survey has anyone here ever been contacted for any follow up. I sent a
Pretty good in my opinion comment in my reply and when asked if I could be contacted for follow up I said absolutely yes and listed phone, emails etc. Crickets??
Why do surveys if you don’t seem to use them or even read them. I know several others that have had same experience.
Mildog out
(04-02-2021, 11:25 PM)2knots Wrote: Bduck joined me for the day there today. We worked all over the north arm and main bay for 1 hit that came off on Rogers rod. A few single marks here and there and some groups way down in the deep water (150’ plus). Saw 1 net come up but believe they lost whatever it was, talked to 1 guy said they got a couple bows, those at the dock I talked with drew a blank also. Water temp was 38.2 when we started and 39.7 when we pulled off at 1:30. There is some ice chunks floating around in the bay by the main launch FYI, they have a wedge dock in also.  Weather was great.

[Image: C80825-C8-0327-4953-8-D60-4-E21-A9623-F35.jpg]

[Image: 8-F0-A9468-0-BEA-4-CDE-B61-E-3-CD15205-F5-D5.jpg]

Had a good day of fishing with 2knots, catching is a different story, thanks Alan for a beautiful day on the water. I was so looking fwd to adding some blood & guts to the fresh paint job you did with your boat.  Big Grin Jordanelle just re-enforces my thoughts from another thread that's been posted. However when there is not much soft water around its worth the try to break whatever omen there might be looming. Next trip the Gorge I hope. 
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
To all of you that replied to this thread that wonder why there is such a rule as not filleting kokes, it is very simple, most people that fish the Berry have no idea what the difference is between kokes, bows and cutts. As proof of this all you need to do is stop at the fillet station any day during the season and you will see one person after another gutting cutts. If you tell them what they have is a cutt they will say no way. Most of the members, if not all members on this forum know the difference but the average person fishing strawberry don't have a clue what the difference is, IMO.
^to add, the law is "cutt throat like features".

I have explained it until I'm blue in the face to people, they cam fiend ignorance all they want, but I get the feeling deep down, they know...
(04-03-2021, 03:54 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: I don't see why we can't fillet the fish, while leaving the "skin" on. Won't that be enough identification?
Because the fillet of a 23" fish could be smaller than a 19" fish, depending on who fillets it.  Once filleted there is no way to confirm the unfilleted size of the fish and being that there are many fish just below the keeper size it would be a license for poachers to keep undersized fish.
Yes the rule on not filleting is so they can determine if it was a cutt and if it was in the slot or not. Once filleted you could not tell. But it should be a rule to not fillet any “trout”. I have seen many people trying to argue a cutt was a rainbow, which is beyond me totally. It’s really not that hard to tell. But again a Kokanee with skin left on, would not be a problem. Doesn’t look
Like a trout fillet. Then they could ticket any filleted trout and let the Koke fisherman use the cleaning station, instead of waiting till they get home.
I’m just saying, but it probsbly makes it too complex for the rules I guess??
Maybe try this, stop at jordanelle or deer creek and clean then there.