Poll: Are you interested in a summer species contest?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes will enter
46.67%
7 46.67%
Maybe will sign up
53.33%
8 53.33%
Total 15 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Interest Survey for Summer Fish Challenge
Sorry I was supposed to do this over a week ago, but I've had a really busy stretch and didn't get it done.. Question for all that are interested....  I was recently asked why we don't have a contest for other species outside of Catfish during the summer, my reply was insufficient interest in years past... Perhaps that was due to the structure like the ice challenge... Anyway Cowboy suggested that rather than pushing for biggest fish, we should have a contest to see who can catch the most species in the state this summer.  It would be strictly catch a species mark a box type contest, the one with the highest number of different species would be the summer challenge champion...  If you would be interested in joining this contest, note same rules of no fee to join will apply.. So if interested vote yes.... If not no need to reply we're just looking for total number interested to gage if it's worth tracking and setting it up...  We would start right away, as soon as we know it's a thing.. Thanks Jeff

Does the survey come up for everyone?  I'm not sure I did that right... Thanks Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
The survey didn't appear for me at first, and it said I was ineligible to vote. I could see results, but not add my input. If anyone else can't vote, try logging in to your account.
Once I corrected the problem of being logged out, it worked just fine.
Is that the only 2 options, YES and MAYBE ?
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(04-02-2021, 09:23 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Is that the only 2 options, YES and MAYBE ?
What option did I miss that you wanted?  I figured if no then don’t vote and our count will stay low and then the contest will likely not happen. We did talk about a contest similar to the ice challenge, but that takes a lot of admin time and if we have two contests at the same time it might get hard to keep up. But if folks are interested I guess we could figure it out. Let me know? Thanks Jeff
It would be fun but we probably need at least 10-15 to sign up so we have at least 8 that will be actively involved unless we see a spike of interest, we may put this one off for another year.. Thanks Jeff PS... unless you 6 that signed up are really excited about it, then we could run with a lower number but I need some feedback of you real interest level.. Thanks Jeff
I agree, if we don't have 15 or so its likely not worth an official contest. However, unofficially i would be happy to keep a tally and the first person to beat me to catching every game fish in Utah (starting now) I will have Pat make him/her up a homemade rod. However if I get there first, I get a guided sturgen or koke trip from one of our members with the side imaging set up. I really want to see that set up in action. Or I would also accept a personal tour with BLK of his spots for 36" cats. Side note...beating me should not prove difficult...at the speed my neck is improving, I will be lucky to snag carp out of the Weber this year Smile
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Hey Jeff - no interest at all from me.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(04-05-2021, 08:35 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: I agree, if we don't have 15 or so its likely not worth an official contest. However, unofficially i would be happy to keep a tally and the first person to beat me to catching every game fish in Utah (starting now) I will have Pat make him/her up a homemade rod. However if I get there first, I get a guided sturgen or koke trip from one of our members with the side imaging set up. I really want to see that set up in action. Or I would also accept a personal tour with BLK of his spots for 36" cats.  Side note...beating me should not prove difficult...at the speed my neck is improving, I will be lucky to snag carp out of the Weber this year Smile
So do we have an official list of those species so we know what we’re up against.?  Like Sacramento perch and snake river cuties are going to be tough. Will take a lot of travel to find some of these. Maybe we ought to concentrate on five trout species in 24 hours. Supposedly that is supposed to be hard. I think it’s doable with help from our friends. I think we could line up our BFT friends to take us out so we don’t have to do all the logistics of boat launching and etc. I’d like to do this this summer and see how many others I could help do it too. Anyway we aren’t finding too much interest. Later Jeff
I just voted. That put it at 6 for each option. Do you see that as 12 votes for? I voted MAYBE but would like to change to WILL enter. A couple of years ago I think I ended up with 18 species for the year, but I've gotten so into the catfish contest that I'm not sure how many I will go for this year. I like the self-reporting set-up. My wife thinks we should have a contest for the most fish caught; I told her we could just say how many from time to time but she thought that left it open to cheating. I told her I wouldn't worry about that, that someone would have to be pretty pathetic to do that.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

im in representing the spirit of Lefty and Jim Harrison with a collection of feathers fur and wrappings thrown with a rod of fly flinging
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom
(04-05-2021, 08:35 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: I agree, if we don't have 15 or so its likely not worth an official contest. However, unofficially i would be happy to keep a tally and the first person to beat me to catching every game fish in Utah (starting now) I will have Pat make him/her up a homemade rod. However if I get there first, I get a guided sturgen or koke trip from one of our members with the side imaging set up. I really want to see that set up in action. Or I would also accept a personal tour with BLK of his spots for 36" cats.  Side note...beating me should not prove difficult...at the speed my neck is improving, I will be lucky to snag carp out of the Weber this year Smile
What do you think?  Our numbers are getting closer to our minimum... If you wouldn't mind keeping track of this one, then I'll let you make the call on how many folks you need to express interest to make this thing go... 

I get all excited this time of year and think I'd love to do this contest, but then the summer farm demands hit and I'm afraid I won't be very competitive, probably 10 species at best for me...  If I can get lucky and make them bite when I go looking for them...  I get thinking your every species challenge probably needs to be longer than just the summer... For instance I think the cisco will be rather hard to come up with outside of the spawn run... That is a tough challenge to do what you are setting out to accomplish, I don't think I can do it, but I'd be willing to help you find some of the species along the way... Later Jeff
(04-07-2021, 01:16 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote:
What do you think?  Our numbers are getting closer to our minimum... If you wouldn't mind keeping track of this one, then I'll let you make the call on how many folks you need to express interest to make this thing go... 

I get all excited this time of year and think I'd love to do this contest, but then the summer farm demands hit and I'm afraid I won't be very competitive, probably 10 species at best for me...  If I can get lucky and make them bite when I go looking for them...  I get thinking your every species challenge probably needs to be longer than just the summer... For instance I think the cisco will be rather hard to come up with outside of the spawn run... That is a tough challenge to do what you are setting out to accomplish, I don't think I can do it, but I'd be willing to help you find some of the species along the way... Later Jeff

Not ignoring ya, Jeff, just been a crazy week. Will respond this evening
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Jeff, if Curt approves, I will kick off a contest based on total species caught (and track down a couple GOOD prizes to make it worth people joining in)

Pretty simple rules: Utah caught, legal methods, starting Monday, ending Nov 15, post with photo, location, date, fish and placard (no measurement required).

Award for most species caught. Placement and prize for 1, 2, 3. A tie will be awarded based on first to get the most. A special prize if anyone can complete the grandslam.

I will type up a bit more formal set of rules, once Curt says we are good to do it.

Below is a species list that I am working from for a "Utah Grandslam"

Grand Slam Game fish
Artic Grayling, Crappie, Bullhead Catfish, Bluegill, Brook Trout, Brown Trout, Channel Catfish, Green Sunfish, Cutthroat, Trout, Golden Trout, Kokanee Salmon, Lake Trout (Mac), Largemouth Bass, Mt. Whitefish, Northern Pike, Rainbow Trout, Smallmouth Bass, Splake, Stripe Bass, Tiger Musky, Tiger Trout, Walleye, White Bass, Wiper, Yellow Perch,

Others:
Bear Lake Whitefish, Bear Lake Cisco, Burbit, Carp, Crawfish, Sacramento Perch, Tilapia, Chub, Utah Sucker
(04-09-2021, 02:46 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Jeff, if Curt approves, I will kick off a contest based on total species caught (and track down a couple GOOD prizes to make it worth people joining in)

Pretty simple rules: Utah caught, legal methods, starting Monday, ending Nov 15, post with photo, location, date, fish and placard (no measurement required).

Award for most species caught. Placement and prize for 1, 2, 3. A tie will be awarded based on first to get the most. A special prize if anyone can complete the grandslam.

I will type up a bit more formal set of rules, once Curt says we are good to do it.

Below is a species list that I am working from for a "Utah Grandslam"

Grand Slam Game fish
Artic Grayling, Crappie, Bullhead Catfish, Bluegill, Brook Trout, Brown Trout, Channel Catfish, Green Sunfish, Cutthroat, Trout, Golden Trout, Kokanee Salmon, Lake Trout (Mac), Largemouth Bass, Mt. Whitefish, Northern Pike, Rainbow Trout, Smallmouth Bass, Splake, Stripe Bass, Tiger Musky, Tiger Trout, Walleye, White Bass, Wiper, Yellow Perch,

Others:
Bear Lake Whitefish, Bear Lake Cisco,   Burbit, Carp, Crawfish, Sacramento Perch, Tilapia, Chub,   Utah Sucker
Go for it Lance, should be a fun contest and it will give those that don't fish for cats a chance to compete in a contest.
You may want to add white crappie. There are some in at least one lake. Maybe you could include a miscellaneous category so people who might catch things like goldfish, June sucker, pumpkinseed, shiners, pikeminnow, etc. could get credit.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Any distinguishing between varieties of cut throat? (Bear Lake, Bonneville, yellowstone, and etc...) Later Jeff
(04-10-2021, 05:44 PM)catchinon Wrote: You may want to add white crappie. There are some in at least one lake. Maybe you could include a miscellaneous category so people who might catch things like goldfish, June sucker, pumpkinseed, shiners, pikeminnow, etc. could get credit.

Since its any legal species they would all count, if caught with a legal method. The list I shared was just where I started

(04-12-2021, 06:40 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Any distinguishing between varieties of cut throat? (Bear Lake, Bonneville, yellowstone, and etc...) Later Jeff

I had not planned on that as it might get a bit tricky for me to determine if it really was a separate sub species from photos. Lets hold off on that and consider adding it next year if this contest gets any action