Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First Lincoln cat search
Made my first trip to Lincoln today and it was great to be back in action. Fishin' was great but ketchin' was kinda slow. I made the 7 mile run over to the Knolls hoping to find some hungry fish but it was not to be. Fished for a couple of hours a caught only four healthy toofooters and a couple (both 36 inchers) lost at the boat. Beautiful calm day with no other fishers in the area. I watched a coyote working the rocks on the rocky Knolls point, probably looking for his Easter rabbit. The geese are all paired up and staking out territories. It is a good time to be on the water. The water temp was 50 degrees at launch, 52 when i returned. Probably a dozen outfits in the parking lot -- suspect they were mostly eye hunters.

I could not find any fish on my sonar. I made a search around the orchards at various depths and around the BS and eastward. Very few red marks on the bottom but then my finder is a vintage Lowerance X510c that will have to suffice until I, too, can afford something with "GPS, Speed, Side View, Down View, etc." (Conspicuous affluence)

Enyhow, great to be back on the water. Good times ahead. I'll be back soon.
(04-02-2021, 11:48 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: Made my first trip to Lincoln today and it was great to be back in action. Fishin' was great but ketchin' was kinda slow. I made the 7 mile run over to the Knolls hoping to find some hungry fish but it was not to be. Fished for a couple of hours a caught only four healthy toofooters and a couple (both 36 inchers) lost at the boat. Beautiful calm day with no other fishers in the area. I watched a coyote working the rocks on the rocky Knolls point, probably looking for his Easter rabbit. The geese are all paired up and staking out territories. It is a good time to be on the water. The water temp was 50 degrees at launch, 52 when i returned. Probably a dozen outfits in the parking lot -- suspect they were mostly eye hunters.

I could not find any fish on my sonar. I made a search around the orchards at various depths and around the BS and eastward. Very few red marks on the bottom but then my finder is a vintage Lowerance X510c that will have to suffice until I, too, can afford something with "GPS, Speed, Side View, Down View, etc." (Conspicuous affluence)

Enyhow, great to be back on the water. Good times ahead. I'll be back soon.
Hey, hey, hey.  Did I just git dissed for finally joining the 21'st century with my electronics.  It's about time.  I been "makin' do" with low end stuff for too many years.   I'm old enough to deserve some creature comforts.

While you're goin' on about it, you might think of replacing that wood-burning model sonar you have.  When the numbers are in Roman numerals you know it's old.  And the fish symbols look a lot like prehistoric fish.
I thought he was talking about me and feeling kind a bad about the new finder, but not bad enough to return it. Looking forward to trying it soon. Been sitting too long and I don’t even know if it will work in shallow water yet. Sure hope so this 2-3’ pond is tough to find the fish in.

Lynn, glad you got the shake down trip out of the way. I think your 3 footer was on the end of my line last night. That fish smoked my drag and I didn’t even turn it before it self released. Got a 26” fish right after and it was nothing compared to that other fish, and it fought well, but my cat rod is set up for big fish so it didn’t even peel any drag. Unlike your 36 that really got my attention. Anyway good luck it will be tough to get a repeat title, lots of tough competition finding some great fish. Just hoping to find a few good ones up here this year. Hoping for a 32” personal best. Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Thanks for the report Lynn. How is the water level compared to last year? Am I going to be able to get into the weeds this year or is it too shallow?
(04-04-2021, 02:52 PM)fast_randy Wrote: Thanks for the report Lynn. How is the water level compared to last year? Am I going to be able to get into the weeds this year or is it too shallow?

Hey Randy,  I'm thinking of making a trip south one day next week. Are you gonna be down at UL anywhere ? May try to meet up with you.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(04-04-2021, 02:52 PM)fast_randy Wrote: Thanks for the report Lynn. How is the water level compared to last year? Am I going to be able to get into the weeds this year or is it too shallow?
Randy-- water level is lower than it was at this time last year but should increase as runoff continues. No trouble launching and your spot in the reeds is waiting for you. Good luck.
Probably going to be a month before I can get down to LB. Getting all my teeth pulled Thursday and going to dentures. Forrest, I would love to fish with you. Give me a couple weeks.