Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beaver????
My son, my dad and I hit up inlet park to do some catfishing on 4/7. It really just turned into some quality time together as not much was biting. I did catch one little perch that I didn't even know was on until I reeled in my pole to check the bait. After that, it was two lonely mudcats that the little man got to reel in. 
Now for the more interesting part. As we sat fishing I looked down the bank and saw what I thought was a beaver swimming towards us. Sure enough it was. I have seen one there several times so I wasn't surprised. As he swam past the old man and in front of me and my boy, I realized he had a line hanging off of him. I went to say as much when my dad says "uh oh.... I think I caught a beaver..." And then one of my lines started going with him as well. This was not what we wanted to catch! I managed to do some fancy rod shaking and got my line off of him before he got to the hook. My dad didn't fair so well... He hooked him and the fight was on.... Not that he was really fighting him. Neither of us wanted him on the bank with us. After a couple of minutes the beaver broke the 30LB line and swam off like nothing happened. He honestly never even acted like he felt the hook. It sure made things interesting for a few minutes tho!
Interesting story. I would think that a beaver could put up a great fight.
I wonder what the warden would say as you netted 60lbs of furbearer? Probably be okay as long as you weren't in the process of filleting him Wink
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew