Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
East Canyon 4/10
Took the boat up today.  Lake is ice free.  1st boat to launch at around 7 am.  An Osprey came flying over when we were prepping the boat, thought it was going to land in a dead tree next to the prepping area.   Nope, the branch it grabbed broke.  It held on to the branch and flew off with it, it must be nesting.  Pretty neat to see.  Air temp was 26 degrees on arrival, water was 43 degrees.  Wind blew periodically, and had periods of calm glass water as well. Trolled all over the lake and found quite a few planter bows.  Everything we caught was shallow, 20 ft or less.  Marked some fish deeper but whatever they were, they didn't hit.  Long lining rapala type lures on the surface was productive.  Lots of long releases as well as many to the boat.  Those little bows would rocket out of the water after feeling the hooks, jumping multiple times.  I also had one double and brought both to the boat.  We also caught a lot on dodger and squid combos down about 15 - 20 ft.  Never found any bigger fish.  Lots of boats, lots of bank fishermen. Got buzzed by a bald eagle as well.  Water temp was up to nearly 46 when we pulled the boat out just before noon.
Thanks for the report.  

It sounds like a fun day with the fish and the birds. 
(04-11-2021, 01:02 AM)Jig-fisher Wrote: Took the boat up today.  Lake is ice free.  1st boat to launch at around 7 am.  An Osprey came flying over when we were prepping the boat, thought it was going to land in a dead tree next to the prepping area.   Nope, the branch it grabbed broke.  It held on to the branch and flew off with it, it must be nesting.  Pretty neat to see.  Air temp was 26 degrees on arrival, water was 43 degrees.  Wind blew periodically, and had periods of calm glass water as well. Trolled all over the lake and found quite a few planter bows.  Everything we caught was shallow, 20 ft or less.  Marked some fish deeper but whatever they were, they didn't hit.  Long lining rapala type lures on the surface was productive.  Lots of long releases as well as many to the boat.  Those little bows would rocket out of the water after feeling the hooks, jumping multiple times.  I also had one double and brought both to the boat.  We also caught a lot on dodger and squid combos down about 15 - 20 ft.  Never found any bigger fish.  Lots of boats, lots of bank fishermen. Got buzzed by a bald eagle as well.  Water temp was up to nearly 46 when we pulled the boat out just before noon.

Great to get out and catch a few fish! Thanks for the invite and good conversation. The one fish photo I took, probably on the bigger side of what we were catching. 

[Image: 7-A4-FDF43-FCF6-4-DD0-B348-2-F4100-E90-CD8.jpg]
I'm glad you were able to come with me.  It was still fun to get out on the water, even if it was pretty chilly at times when the wind would come up.  Those bows were pretty little.  7 -10 inches.  It looks like those guys in the bass boat that were casting from the boat in some locations caught some nicer fish.  They posted on Facebook a very nice bow and a smallie.
Hey Paul, we drove over in the afternoon just to see how much the wind had stirred it up. Glassed a few boats to see if there was any action. Saw the bass boat, you mentioned, but I guess I dont know what kind a battleship you are piloting. What type of craft are you chasing critters in?
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Blue and white open bow bayliiner, (aren't nearly all of them that color?).  Downriggers on each back side with a bow mount electric on it.  Just 2 of us in the boat.  We were off the water and pulled out of the parking lot at 12.