Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry side Ice Conditions?
Anyone get on the ice at the berry this weekend that can speak to the ice and edge conditions?
I did not but I viewed a number of photos that showed some pretty sketchy edges and lots of grey ice. If I get a better update I will add it.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Ty Phillips reported today, "Hey y’all. Ice off is knocking at the door. Lots of places have open water around the edges a few feet. I’d give it about a week to 2 weeks and there will be fishable water!"
Cowboypirate Wrote:I did not but I viewed a number of photos that showed some pretty sketchy edges and lots of grey ice. If I get a better update I will add it.
Thanks for the info, I'm looking at going up Tuesday for one last hard deck outing if the shoreline approach and ice are still good.
(04-12-2021, 01:08 AM)talyn Wrote: Thanks for the info, I'm looking at going up Tuesday for one last hard deck outing if the shoreline approach and ice are still good.

I think you will need a long board or similar to access the ice now.
I was up there Fri and Sat this past weekend. SC side has 10" ice but the edges are pulling away faster than Berry side. Berry Marina looked like it had about 15" of ice still did not see any soft edges by the boat ramp. If you can believe it a brave fishing group had a 2 person side by side on the hard deck about 200 yards out from the Store. Your best bet for safe ice tomorrow is the Berry Marina. Some people were fishing Mud Creek so it may have some safe ice still. Be Safe, take a plank and drill holes to check ice thickness.

We used a plank to access the ice on the SC side. Fished near the Dam and out of SC Day Use area. Highlight of the trip for me was catching this Beautiful 2 lb Silver Bullet at 23 ft in 25 ft of water. Ate him up last night for an amazing dinner. Also caught a nice keeper slot busting cutthroat down at 75 ft in 80 ft of water. See pics

Good luck - Let us know how you do
Thanks for the update, I'm not one to "walk the plank" if it is getting to that. Nice silver bullet, always nice pulling one up through the ice. Managed to get two kokes through the ice this year. Both were caught at 14 feet in 60 feet of water on atomic tubes.
I watched an old fisherman walk the plank down here. He made it about 3 steps past the plank and went in up to his neck. His son pulled him back up on the ice and he took two more steps in broke through again. His son got him out again, and they finally got the old guy off the ice, and in a vehicle. We all thought we were going to watch somebody die there for a while. There is no way I'll walk a plank to keep ice fishing!