Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Wipers/Smallmouth from Shore?
Has anyone done well for Smallmouth and/or Wipers from shore? I have tried a few times  with muscles and not done well yet. Any tips or spots to try? 
Trying to Get some wipers for the grill Smile
Why do I like fishing so much? The same reason why you like breathing so much, It keeps me alive.
(04-12-2021, 02:36 PM)Backyard Boy T.V. Wrote: Has anyone done well for Smallmouth and/or Wipers from shore? I have tried a few times  with muscles and not done well yet. Any tips or spots to try? 
Its just a bit early. The water needs to warm up. I would say in a week or two the wipers will be moving in for their mock spawn. Also the crappie will be moving in too. I know you also want walleye and those should be in post spawn feeding in May. Good luck.
Gabe
(04-12-2021, 02:46 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote:
(04-12-2021, 02:36 PM)Backyard Boy T.V. Wrote: Has anyone done well for Smallmouth and/or Wipers from shore? I have tried a few times  with muscles and not done well yet. Any tips or spots to try? 
Its just a bit early. The water needs to warm up. I would say in a week or two the wipers will be moving in for their mock spawn. Also the crappie will be moving in too. I know you also want walleye and those should be in post spawn feeding in May. Good luck.
Gabe
Thanks. I've been seeing a few posts on social media advertising some decent smallies and I got an itch to get one Smile
Why do I like fishing so much? The same reason why you like breathing so much, It keeps me alive.
We once found wipers in the rocks, they, and the cats we gorging on carp eggs, right up in the rocks. It was just off the rocks by the farm. It was spring so watch for the carp spawn action.
For me, the smallies are usually scattered along the rocks so I have done best trolling along the rocks rather than fishing from shore. But I’m far from a Willard expert so take mine as an idea and those that know best will hopefully chime in. Good luck. J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(04-12-2021, 08:03 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: For me, the smallies are usually scattered along the rocks so I have done best trolling along the rocks rather than fishing from shore. But I’m far from a Willard expert so take mine as an idea and those that know best will hopefully chime in. Good luck. J
THanks! I wish so so so so so bad I had a boat Smile But I don't Sad
(04-12-2021, 08:13 PM)Backyard Boy T.V. Wrote:
(04-12-2021, 08:03 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: For me, the smallies are usually scattered along the rocks so I have done best trolling along the rocks rather than fishing from shore. But I’m far from a Willard expert so take mine as an idea and those that know best will hopefully chime in. Good luck. J
THanks! I wish so so so so so bad I had a boat Smile But I don't Sad
Get a float tube. Poor mans boat. Thats how I fish most often. If you dont use a motor, I think it puts you at a stealth advantage. 
Gabe
(04-09-2021, 04:04 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(04-09-2021, 02:28 PM)tl23life94 Wrote: Sweet job ? what is this work flig where could I get some of these fligs looks like they are always working for cats be fun to try something new ?
Yeah, TubeDude is the man for all things flig, I'm sure he can set you up.
I second the float tube or pontoon, they are a blast to fish out of... Only issue is you have to watch the weather close and get off if the wind starts to blow... but the fishing can't be beat out of them... I prefer the toon to the boat, except for covering distances... Good luck.. Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I'm certainly not a Willard expert, but I do get lucky occasionally. Second the float tube or kayak if you don't have a boat. I love pounding the rocks with a wolly bugger from my tube or my kayak while also dragging a flig or a santee cooper rig behind me.  As WH2 said, Tube Dude is the source of all Willard knowledge.  When he talks, I listen.  Here's info on Santee Cooper rigs.

https://shopkarls.com/blog/how-to-fish-t...essential/
Sorry.  Gave myself a few days in the corner...a "timeout" for bad behavior.

Here are a couple of things that might help.  Actually, we are going into the best time of year for "bank tangling" for wipers...and for smallies too.  The key will be to find an area of the dikes where water levels are high enough. 

Attached Files
.pdf   WILLARD SMALLIES & LARGIES.pdf (Size: 1.05 MB / Downloads: 22)
.pdf   WILLARD BAY WIPERS.pdf (Size: 628.67 KB / Downloads: 26)
(04-14-2021, 01:14 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Sorry.  Gave myself a few days in the corner...a "timeout" for bad behavior.

Here are a couple of things that might help.  Actually, we are going into the best time of year for "bank tangling" for wipers...and for smallies too.  The key will be to find an area of the dikes where water levels are high enough. 
How did I know you be more than enough help with this! Thanks so much! Those wipers are one of my favorites! The fight like there is no tomorrow and they taste just fine on the grill!
(04-14-2021, 01:14 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Sorry.  Gave myself a few days in the corner...a "timeout" for bad behavior.

When my kids decided their timeout was over, they insisted on a treat. Did you get tubebabe to take you to Texas Roadhouse? 

And back to the post...I am a bit suprised at the early wiper activity. Seems a bit chill yet to have them on the hunt.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(04-14-2021, 02:36 PM)Backyard Boy T.V. Wrote:

How did I know you be more than enough help with this! Thanks so much! Those wipers are one of my favorites! The fight like there is no tomorrow and they taste just fine on the grill!
Right you are.  Fight great and taste great.  But grilling ain't the only way to fix 'em.  Here's a couple of other ideas.

Attached Files
.pdf   WASTE FREE WIPERS 2.pdf (Size: 1.99 MB / Downloads: 7)
.pdf   WASTE FREE WIPERS - 1.pdf (Size: 1.65 MB / Downloads: 9)
(04-14-2021, 03:13 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote:

When my kids decided their timeout was over, they insisted on a treat. Did you get tubebabe to take you to Texas Roadhouse? 

And back to the post...I am a bit suprised at the early wiper activity. Seems a bit chill yet to have them on the hunt.
I wouldn't mind a quick Texas Roadhouse trip with TubeDude! Smile
(04-14-2021, 03:13 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: And back to the post...I am a bit suprised at the early wiper activity. Seems a bit chill yet to have them on the hunt.
Temperature alone is not the only motivator in bringing fish in for "seasonal frivolity".  As with many other critters and plants, the increasing hours of daylight can be a trigger for annual movements.  But the actual "false spawn" will likely not begin until water temps exceed 60 and even more at 65.  In the meantime, wipers...as with other fish species...usually go on a prespawn feeding spree.  If you can find some...in the right mood...they will accept just about anything you offer.