Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another decent day at Willard
Hit Willard again today with Liketrolling and Wiperslayer. Got on the water around 7:30 am water temp was 50 degrees. Headed back to the spot Ira and I had fished last week and started trolling cranks, nothing, so we broke out the Fligs and the fun began. Nothing over 22" on this trip but the kitties were frisky and gave us a good fight, we got 10 in the net before the action died around 12:30, so we move to the North dike. Robert wanted to check out his mega 360 and we knew a spot we wanted to check out right off the N dike, pretty amazing how well his 360 in combination with side scan worked, so clear we could see just what we were looking for. Not sure if there had been an old bridge there at one time but there was a road, which is now under water, then a deep hole, then the road continued on the other side of the hole. We had found it a few years ago but just could not tell what it was, from what we could tell on this trip there was either a bridge there at one time or someone dug a deep hole right in the middle of the road. After we were done exploring we had a little time before we were planning on leaving, so we went back to fligging and picked a smaller cat, then a kitty triple and we decided to end the trip there on that high note. Nothing pic worthy today, saw Suzuki Blue out there right before we left and shared greeting. Thanks Robert for bringing your boat up and allowing us to share a day on the water, awesome electronic. Water temp got up to 55 degrees around 1:30 pm in the North marina before we loaded the boat, I think it was 54 in the Bay. Won't be long now before the catching of wipers and eyes start in earnest, I'm ready.
Did you also get to see the rock pile or island areas as well? We've seen the road you are talking about but certainly not as detailed as the 360 would show it, sounds like you guys had a great time. With the upcoming winds hope fishing can still keep improving and not suffer much of a set back.
(04-13-2021, 03:34 PM)jjannie Wrote: Did you also get to see the rock pile  or island areas as well? We've seen the road you are talking about but certainly not as detailed as the 360 would show it, sounds like you guys had a great time. With the upcoming winds hope fishing can still keep improving and not suffer much of a set back.
No, we stayed on the East side of the lake. We have fished other locations on the lake will little success this time of the year. We have extensively checked out the island and the rock piles over the years but never this new location. By the way, there are three roads on the East side, in that same general location.
Thanks for the report, you get me excited for trying my new finder out... Wish I had that 360, hopefully I'll get it set up for ice next winter... I'm so impressed every time I've seen the system used, at least by those that know how to tweak the settings so they show you what you want to see... thanks for telling us about how this worked, very interesting to me... later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(04-13-2021, 05:15 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Thanks for the report, you get me excited for trying my new finder out... Wish I had that 360, hopefully I'll get it set up for ice next winter... I'm so impressed every time I've seen the system used, at least by those that know how to tweak the settings so they  show you what you want to see...  thanks for telling us about how this worked, very interesting to me... later Jeff
I'm always impressed with Robert's knowledge of his equipment, not sure I could learn all the functions his units are able to do as well as he has but it is truly impressive.
(04-13-2021, 05:20 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(04-13-2021, 05:15 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Thanks for the report, you get me excited for trying my new finder out... Wish I had that 360, hopefully I'll get it set up for ice next winter... I'm so impressed every time I've seen the system used, at least by those that know how to tweak the settings so they  show you what you want to see...  thanks for telling us about how this worked, very interesting to me... later Jeff
I'm always impressed with Robert's knowledge of his equipment, not sure I could learn all the functions his units are able to do as well as he has but it is truly impressive.
It's amazing how much the units can do these days, but you have to study out how to do it, and once I figure out how to run what I think I need to fish I'm not as motivated to keep learning what else they will do... Hope I can do better on this new finder... Just learned it has the mapping features as well.. Guess I won't need my sonar phone on the boat any longer... I really liked that little unit, and if I had a new phone that the battery would last on, I'd still like it... Guess I'll have to update my phone... Anyway would be fun to learn from Robert and others so we can better learn how to use our tools... Maybe we ought to do posts on how to run certain features on our fish finders from time to time... I'll have to learn how to do something and write up what I learned in case anyone else doesn't know how to do it and wants to learn...  More on this later. Jeff
Curt,
Did Robert take any screen shots of the side or 360 images. That would be cool to see. Maybe he will share them on the forum. I get about as much fun out of playing with my electronics as I do fishing.
My new one has mapping and side imaging. It's going to be interesting.
(04-13-2021, 07:02 PM)BSF Wrote: Curt,
Did Robert take any screen shots of the side or 360 images. That would be cool to see. Maybe he will share them on the forum. I get about as much fun out of playing with my electronics as I do fishing.
As far as I know he did not take any screen shots but he recorded some video using his underwater camera but I'll be amazed if it shows anything, clearity was really poor.
(04-13-2021, 07:22 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: My new one has mapping and side imaging. It's going to be interesting.
Good luck with your new finder Rocky, mapping is pretty easy to figure out, side imaging takes more practice.
I didn't take any snapshot at willard.
we put the underwater camera down for maybe over a hour . and I thought I had it on recording  but I had one switch the wrong way so it did not record 

here are some old snapshots not sure where I was at maybe jordanelle, deercreek are Idaho I put the date in the name

[Image: 3-28-2021.png]3/28/2021

[Image: 4-9-2021.jpg]4/9/2021

[Image: sturgeon-9-20-20.jpg] Sturgeon 9/2020
(04-13-2021, 10:43 PM)liketrolling Wrote: I didn't take any snapshot at willard.
we put the underwater camera down for maybe over a hour . and I thought I had it on recording  but I had one switch the wrong way so it did not record 

here are some old snapshots not sure where I was at maybe jordanelle, deercreek are Idaho I put the date in the name

[Image: 3-28-2021.png]3/28/2021

[Image: 4-9-2021.jpg]4/9/2021

[Image: sturgeon-9-20-20.jpg] Sturgeon 9/2020
Wow so that’s two sturgeon in that second ring?  That’s amazing, I can’t wait to get the 360 transducer. Thanks for posting some visual aids there. Later Jeff
Most of the time it is easier to tell what kind of fish it is by looking at the shadow it casts if you can see it.
[Image: IMG-20210402-135126900.jpg]
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.
(04-14-2021, 05:33 AM)a_bow_nut Wrote: Most of the time it is easier to tell what kind of fish it is by looking at the shadow it casts if you can see it.
That is a cool snapshot, was it taken with side scan or down scan.
It is a side scan image.

Here is a better picture of the finder screen.

[Image: IMG-20210402-135133234.jpg]
(04-15-2021, 05:16 PM)a_bow_nut Wrote: It is a side scan image.

Here is a better picture of the finder screen.
Pretty amazing how well that shadow looks like a sturgeon.
(04-13-2021, 10:43 PM)liketrolling Wrote: I didn't take any snapshot at willard.
I did not think about it at the time but that would have been cool to get a pic of that structure we viewed on your side scan.
It is a sturgeon.

On that trip most of them were hanging out in the rocks.