Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flathead Mackinaw
Heading to Flathead this weekend, any advice for the lake trout? I can downrigger troll or jig for them. Never been on that lake and could use a hint on what locations to fish out there.

Thanks
(04-13-2021, 10:33 PM)NWFishin Wrote: Heading to Flathead this weekend, any advice for the lake trout? I can downrigger troll or jig for them. Never been on that lake and could use a hint on what locations to fish out there.

Thanks
Wish I could offer some guidance but that lake is 90 miles long, if I remember correctly. I have been along the Eastern side of it and there were several location there, toward the southern end that looked like good places to check out. It seems there use to be some kind of bounty there on Lake trout and I always thought it would be a good way to pay for a trip there, if you could catch enough of them. Hopefully other members will chime in with some exact locations to start. Good luck and please let us know how you do.
I ended up only fishing on Saturday. The weather was perfect. I saw some guys turning in fish Friday evening for Mack days. They caught a lot of fish that day and said they were on the bottom about 240 feet. He told me where to go so I fished that area in the Northern part of the lake. The same guys were there fishing the same location. I marked fish, trolled & jigged with no bites all day. I spoke with some locals fishing for Mack Days and one guide. Nobody caught fish on Saturday so I guess I don't feel so bad.

It was a fun trip however so I'll get them next time!
(04-22-2021, 02:18 AM)NWFishin Wrote: I ended up only fishing on Saturday. The weather was perfect. I saw some guys turning in fish Friday evening for Mack days. They caught a lot of fish that day and said they were on the bottom about 240 feet. He told me where to go so I fished that area in the Northern part of the lake. The same guys were there fishing the same location. I marked fish, trolled & jigged with no bites all day. I spoke with some locals fishing for Mack Days and one guide. Nobody caught fish on Saturday so I guess I don't feel so bad.

It was a fun trip however so I'll get them next time!
Thanks for the report, glad you were able to get some intel from some guys fishing there, just too bad it did not pan out. There is always a learning curb when fishing any new lake.
(04-13-2021, 10:33 PM)NWFishin Wrote: Heading to Flathead this weekend, any advice for the lake trout? I can downrigger troll or jig for them. Never been on that lake and could use a hint on what locations to fish out there.

Thanks
I always check in with Macman at Zimmertackle.com. They are located in Ronan and can get you hooked up with the latest lake fishing info and dyed herring as well as the hottest jigs and lures.