Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sacramento perch
I want to try one more time for Sacramento perch at Pruess Reservoir aka Garrison Reservoir. In my research I haven't found any mention of the fish being present there since a 2011 gill-net survey by the DWR. I have read of a few fruitless attempts to catch some since then. The state record catch and release fish came in 2000. There is some conjecture that there are no more Sacramento perch in the reservoir, possibly due to the massive overload of trash fish. Does anyone have any recent evidence that some are still in there? Any catches? Even any hearsay?

I want to go sometime in May and make it a two-day effort so I can thoroughly cover the lake and stream. Anyway, if anyone is interested to go along please contact me.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Mike Hadley is the UDWR biologist for that place:

michaelhadley@utah.gov

I suggest you send him an email.
Having a house in garrison and fishing there several times
.. I know we've talked and I want to catch one... the ole bathtub stories of "crappie" are true the perch were caught like you wouldn't believe... but like the pike in yuba once existed.... as do the perch... and im willing to keep trying for both!!
Thanks Kent and Fritz. My wife isn't too keen on me going so far away and I'd like to get some confirmation that there's any chance of catching some before I head down. So it'll be a while before I go further in this direction. Kent, I'll contact that biologist and see what he can tell me.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

I went last fall just for fun and caught a smallish catfish and a decent bass. Neat area.
Well Craig, did you chase the sacramento perch?
Well, you don't know if you don't go!
Well guys, I've been down and out with kidney stones and I don't know when or if I'll go.

(05-11-2021, 06:01 PM)catchinon Wrote: Well guys, I've been down and out with kidney stones and I don't know when or if I'll go.

Sorry to hear that Craig, my wife had the same issue years ago, several times. I'm sure your Doc has told you this but there were a couple of things that helped my wife, not to get more kidney stones, drink more water and cut out the Soda.
Curt, did my wife tell you to say that? Yeah, I will be doing all I can to make sure no more form.

My first from yesterday, southern Utah.

Pretty fish.

[Image: B536604-A-59-B6-4-E16-90-F3-E48-E540390-A6.jpg]
(06-09-2021, 04:24 PM)castnshoot Wrote: My first from yesterday, southern Utah.

Pretty fish.

[Image: B536604-A-59-B6-4-E16-90-F3-E48-E540390-A6.jpg]

Congrats, that is the first one I've seen that anyone has caught in a lot of years, glad to see there is still a few around.
A number of years ago, I landed a few of them at Minersville Reservoir...illegal introduction that must have come from Pruess.
THAT.
IS.
ABSOLUTELY.
AWESOME!!
Thats it im going!!

Did you catch anything else while you were there?
Now that I have seen a Utah Sacramento Perch, I have hope in seeing a Yeti, space Aliens, and Unicorn again.

Wow, they do exist. Angel
(06-09-2021, 04:24 PM)castnshoot Wrote: My first from yesterday, "Southern Utah."
I'm not asking you to out any other place. As far as I know, they are only officially listed as being in Pruess Lake. Is this a Pruess Lake catch?
(06-10-2021, 05:18 PM)gaardvark Wrote:
(06-09-2021, 04:24 PM)castnshoot Wrote: My first from yesterday, "Southern Utah."
I'm not asking you to out any other place. As far as I know, they are only officially listed as being in Pruess Lake. Is this a Pruess Lake catch?

Sorry for the late reply,, but no not Pruess.
(06-24-2021, 02:05 AM)castnshoot Wrote:
(06-10-2021, 05:18 PM)gaardvark Wrote:

Sorry for the late reply,, but no not Pruess.

Good Job. Did you know they were in there or was this catch a surprise?
I am not disclosing the location, but a very deep dive into the archives might point you in the general direction. Caught 2 of them on back to back casts.